Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E Machine

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok my friends emachine seems to have taken a crap. When ever you plugged it in, there was nothing going on. So I check and it seems that something happend and the MB went out. SO I decided to change it instead of buying a new one. Also changed the PS so as to try and not have this happen again.

Ok I pulled all the cords and other dodads (I just love that word) from the old PS and MB, then I plugged all that stuff back into the new PS and MB. Only one thing didnt have a place, on the new MB I cant seem to find the front audio place. No biggie... use the back ones they work just fine.

OK I got all the plugs in, got everything all down and all that jazz... plug it into the wall and hit the power button, and NOTHING, so I figured out that I had the power button in the wrong place so I moved it and tada it powered up, or so it seems.....

The CPU fan spins, The CD ROM will spin if you put a cd into it. But there is NO video comeing out, there is NO spinning on the HD. I do NOT hear any beeps from it at all.

So any suggestions????

Edited by LiaoGoren, 29 December 2007 - 04:16 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Change the power supply.
If no joy, change the mainboard.
In severe cases, the processor ends up having been fried as well.
EMachines have a working life of about three years before the power supplies malfunction and cook the board. Very common eMachines problem.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 December 2007 - 05:20 AM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
very true that they do, but if the cpus fried, wont it still send video??? I think I would get some sorta video showing error?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The GPU can't just output video on its own, it needs to be told to do so. And how would the CPU be able to tell the GPU to output video if it is fried?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the processor is dead, nothing gets sent anywhere. All that happens is the mainboard is told to provide power, then that's it until the processor takes over. Having a dead processor in a board is the same as not having a processor in it at all functionality-wise.

Any messages about lack of video signal would be being generated by the monitor, not the computer.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Thanks for all the input, but it turns out that either the processor was fried, or was just to slow for the new MB to even see it... problem has been respolved thks all :)