Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new m-board fitted and now wont boot

• Please log in to reply

danny.s

danny.s

• Pip
  • 8 posts
*P4 win xp*

after fitting a new motherboard and ram i cant get my pc to boot.

after the bios test screen it asks to pick to either boot normal, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc and then counts down from 30 seconds.

on start normal the windows xp on black background shows for a split second, then a blue screen with white writing that is to quick to read, just flashes up, then a click from the hard drive and then goes back to the bios screen and restarts the process.

if i choose safe mode, lots of white writing scrolls and then just goes back to the start of the bios screen.

i have swapped hard drives with another hard drive with xp, and does basically the same thing (except for the blue screen and just restarts)

i see on the new motherboard that there are 24 pins on the power plug to the board. my 350w psu only had 20 pin, however the book said it would fit.

i am trying to mend this PC for a friend, and 3 days later, and over £100 its still not working.

whats the best thing i can do ? apart from never have touched the poxy thing in the first place.

thanks

Danny

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The hardware change must be followed by windows reinstallation or at least windows repair and reinstallation of motherboard, and probably other, drivers. You will need the xp installation disk and the product key.