Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I upgrade my processor? Dell Precision Workstation 330

• Please log in to reply

Namflow

Namflow

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
My buddy just got a game which I would like to play at home (Race 07). The min specs for the game are more than I currently have in my system. I have a Pent 4 1.5 chip in a Dell Precision Workstation 330. Is it possible to upgrade the chip? Whatr else would I need to upgrade? Is it worth it? Is there anything else I should upgrade? I brought the ram up to 1 gig, added a 160 gig HD, added USB 2.0 (although I don't see any difference). I have the same video card (Nvidia Gforce 2 GTS 32mb) and audio card (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz).

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Race 07 System Requirements:

Minimum

* Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP Home/Pro, Windows Vista*
* Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or 100% compatible
* Memory 512 MB RAM
* Hard Drive 2.5 GB free space
* 3D Accelerator DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 128 MB memory
* Sound Card DirectX 9 compatible
* Input Keyboard and Mouse
* DirectX Version 9

Recommended

* Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP Home/Pro, Windows Vista*
* Processor 3 GHz Intel Pentium IV or 100% compatible
* Memory 2 GB RAM
* Hard Drive 2.5 GB free space
* 3D Accelerator DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 512 MB memory, Shader 2.0 support, Nvidia 6800 or better
* Sound Card DirectX 9 compatible
* Input DirectX 9 compatible force feedback steering wheel
* DirectX Version 9

The Dell Precision Workstation 330 was released by Dell back in 2000.
Going on that basis alone, its not worth spending any money on this computer in all honesty because you're not going to see any benefits.
You'd be better off putting money towards a new system which will be able to handle most games you throw at it.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
It can't be that bad.....a new video card and chip should bring me up to speed, no?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The graphics card is certainly upgradable but the technology inside your computer is so outdated by modern standards the graphics card would spend all its time waiting for the rest of the system to catch up. You can't even buy memory for it anymore. Even if you can plop a new chip in it, it's not going to bring it up to a spec capable of running a 2007 game, and that is the honesty truth.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Just to throw in someone else's opinion:

I fully agree with Neil :)