Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 sound cards, 2 pairs of speakers. Possible?

• Please log in to reply

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
those prices are obscene! you buying monster cables!?!
no need for expensive wiring here, its consumer level audio...
go to radio shack or equivalent (even many department stores have an A/V section where they sell cables).
I thought you already had the splitter that goes from stereo mini to RCA's, to plug into the stereo...besides that, all you need is the stereo mini Y cable. plug the PC speaker lead into 1 jack, and the RCA splitter into the other jack.
worst case scenario, go to guitar center, or whatever local music store you have. thye have gobs of HOSA brand cables, in every configuration possible, and most of those are $10 or less.
sorry for any confusion! :tazz:

Advertisements

Timbo

Timbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The cables i bought where a 2.5m from headphone to RCA, then a 3m extension! Is the headphone to RCA a splitter?
What does this mini Y cable look like, just a single headphone type plug to a RCA?

Even if i do buy this mini Y cable, do i plug that into my stereo? and will i still be able to get sound comming from my green outlet?

What happens if i rip the soundblaster from my other old computer into this one so i have 2 sound blasters? nah, i dont think that would work either...
but maybe it might, im not going to try it. Buit ill see if it has 2 outlets

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, sometimes I forget that some folks arent audio geeks like me, so I wont be super clear. please forgive.
we might have some confusion on size of connectors...1/8", mini, and 2.5mm all refer to the same size- the green jack on the soundblaster card, and plug from the speakers that goes in that card. most consumer headphones also use this.
RCA is the standard red and white on the back of the stereo, for interconnecting components.

assuming the headphone to RCA goes from the 1 plug (mini) to 2 RCA (red and white), that is a splitter.

heres the Y cable (in this case its solid plastic, same function) 1 male mini, to 2 female mini.

http://www.radioshac...a..._id=274-313

(if you look at page 1 on the radio shack link, you will see the ridiculous prices for monster cable versions of these. rip off artists :tazz: ...but I digress)

plug this into the green jack on the soundblaster. plug the mini connector for the comp speakers into one jack of the Y.
plug the headphone extension in the other jack of the Y, then the splitter cable into that, and finally the RCA end into the stereo.

the 2 soundblaster option wouldnt work, since only one could be selected to play at a time. for some reason, an onboard card can work with an aftermarket card- but again, they ae not synched up, so the sound comes from one slightly after the other, which is no good.
hope this clears it all up. let me know how it goes.

Timbo

Timbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay i bought the connecter. I get sound through both sets of speakers Hoorah! :) . Now that slight delay was no problem, theres a full 3D EAX cd that came with my sound blaster, so the program on there acted like a balance sort of thing.(they must of known about this delay or something), so i think ive got it perfectly sync'd up!

By the way, above the 2.5m was 2.5meters, i just listed the length that i got, i think normal headphone plugs are 3mm in diameter, or around that size.

Now ive got this working i might go out and get a better home theater. And who knows, maybe someday ill have around 16 speakers all syched up. But im looking at the new soundblasters now that allow an extra amp type thing to be plugged into your new soundcard. this amp can hold 10 speakers and a sub. Very pricey but it looks sweet.

Thanks to all of you for your help :tazz: ;) ;)

:)

Edited by Timbo, 21 April 2005 - 09:07 PM.