Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't decide on new monitors.

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
OK guys, the time has come for me to get a triplehead setup. Now that I've got a nice beefy eVGA 8800GT (512MB), and I can afford it.

Anyway this is the line-up of monitors I'm looking at, suggestions for ones not on this list are more than welcome. But mainly what I need help with is choosing the best one. I know about brightness and contrast ratio specs, but I've got no idea how these monitors will actually perform. I really don't want to spend more than $250 for each one.

UltraSharp 1908FP 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand from here.(third one down on the left side)

LG L1953TX-BF Black 19" 5ms DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1

SAMSUNG 940BX Black 19" 5ms DVI LCD Monitor with height adjustment 300 cd/m2 1000:1

ViewSonic Value Series VA926 Black-Silver 19" 5ms DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 dynamic (typ);1000:1 static (typ)

If anybody has any experience or knowledge of these monitors it would be appreciated! :)

Also for all of these monitors, does anybody know about backlight bleed issues with any of them. I've had a monitor that had serious backlight bleed issues before and thats something I want to avoid.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Depending on the games you want to play, your video card might not be powerful enough for a TripleHead2Go setup. The resolution for these setups is typically 3840x1024. That is 3932160 pixels. I know that my 8800GTS 512mb, which is a more powerful card, cannot run a game such as Crysis maxed out at 1920x1080 (2073600 pixels... about 53% less). For the extremely high resolution you will be using, you definitely need more video memory to have any hope of playable framerates in games like Crysis and future games. Perhaps you could buy another 8800GT to run in SLI. If SLI isn't an option, then you could wait for the dual-GPU cards to come out in January. They are basically 2 8800s squished together, so its like running SLI, only you only need 1 slot.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I'm fully aware that I wont be able to run Crysis and games released in the new future at maximum settings at that resolution. But, since Crysis is pretty godly at medium settings across the board anyway, I don't mind at all. :)

Let's just pretend that my video card is a non-issue. Especially since, as you said the dual GPU series 8 cards will be coming out next year; and I'll most likely grab one once they get to an acceptable price range.

What I'm really looking for is info on the listed monitors' blacklight bleeds and performance in general.

BTW stettybet0 the GTS is not more powerful than the GT:

The GeForce 8800 GT's $199-$259 estimated price slots the card between the GeForce 8800 GTS and the GeForce 8600 GTS on the price scale, but the GT's exceptional 3D processing power places it closer to the GeForce 8800 GTX in performance

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The GT is more powerful than the old G80 8800GTS, but less powerful than the new G92 8800GTS (which is the one I have). It is basically the same as the GT (also based on the G92 core), but with a dual-slot cooler, higher clocks, and more stream processors. When that review was written, the new 8800GTS hadn't even been released (it was released on December 11, 2007).

Anyways, sorry I can't be of more help on picking out the monitors. I just use my 40" 1080p TV. :) However, one thing that I know is that for gaming you want the lowest response time possible. Some monitors have a 2ms response time, maybe you might want to look at those.

Also, for further info you might want to look at this site. It's dedicated to widescreen gaming, including "surround gaming", which is their name for using 3 monitors with TH2GO.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
LOL I'm already a member there and actually copy pasted this whole topic from my thread. Nobody is replying though, so I thought I might branch out a little bit.

And concerning the new GTS's :) the whole point of the GT's was to provide the [b]middleground[b] between the GTS and GTX. oh well

drifter77

drifter77

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
We just bought about 15 of the widescreen version of the Samsung 940 at work and I've been impressed with them. Of course we're mainly just using business apps so I'm not sure how they do with more intense graphics.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I understand that you cant check on graphic intense stuff, drifter77. But is it possible for you to check how the screen looks when displaying a totally black screen in a dark room?
This would be to see what the "back light bleed" is like on this monitor.

With this being phenominal:
Posted Image

With this being acceptable (I think that the exposure time for this picture was long too):
Posted Image

And with this being pretty bad (especially since you don't even have to turn off the lights to see it):
Posted Image

drifter77

drifter77

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'll let you know on Monday, when I'm back at work.

drifter77

drifter77

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Tested one of those LCD's today. I'd put it somewhere between the top two pics in your post. Pretty decent if you ask me.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Oh my, that sounds pretty good! :)

Now if only I could find somebody that has seen the performance of the other models :)

Thanks for your help drifter77!