Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restructuring my LAN

• Please log in to reply

mondrawy

mondrawy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a lan with about 25 PCs all with windows xp, 20 of which are under my control (i.e I can install stuff on them). It is currently all networked in a regular workgroup with a bunch of interconnected switches & a router. However due to the size of the network and the insufficient services & security in a workgroup I've decided to move to the Server/Client model. I'm planning to install windows server 2k3 but I would like answers & some advice.

First of all, I'd like to be able to monitor and preferably control the internet bandwith being distributed to the network to prevent a single user from ruining the bandwith for everyone. How would I be able to achieve that ? I'd like to achieve that in such a way that if the server is shut down I only lose monitoring & control over the network and wouldn't result in the rest of the network losing its internet connection. So any ideas ?

Another thing is all those PCs currently have a "public" account that has alot of stuff limited via group policies but offers somewhat similar services & applications. Would it be wise to make a single user account in the new server/client model for use on all these PCs or a seperate user account for each PC is best ?

Advertisements