Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU 20 to 24 pin, adapter

• Please log in to reply

danny.s

danny.s

• Pip
  • 8 posts
my new motherboard has the 24 pin power plug, and my old psu only has the 20 pin plug.

i have been told that there are adapters that make the 20 into 24.

is this needed and what does it do ? what are the remaining 4 wires for ?

many thanks

danny

Advertisements

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
usually your power supply has the extra 4 pins on another plug, i haven't heard of an adapter to change 20 to 24 because where will it get the extra power from?

have a look for the other 4 pin plug, if you can't find it get another power supply, they're not too expensive

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The adaptors aren't technically needed because you can run a twenty pin PSU on a motherboard with a twenty-four pin layout.
Just line it up in the normal way, it'll only go in one way and on one side, allowing the clip to lock. Then, as all new PSUs now are 24pin by default, you can feed the board the full 24-pins as and when you need to replace it.