Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive install problem

• Please log in to reply

lizgold

lizgold

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi--thanks for any help you can give me.

My friend's NTFS hard drive has crashed. I've done everything possible, and it seems that she needs to fork over the $ for a data recovery software program (I downloaded one that could "see" her data, but she needs to buy a license to be able to copy it). Unfortunately, she's broke.

In the meantime, I thought I'd put my old 40 GB hard drive into her computer since I don't really need it, and she could use it temporarily. But her computer gives this message:

"Dell's Disc Monitoring System has detected that drive on the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications."

The drive was fine when in my computer (I have a utility to check on drive health). It's an Ultra ATA drive, and my hunch is that her computer is so old it's not recognizing it.

Her computer is a Dell Optiplex GX1. It had only a 10 GB hard drive in it. (Yes, I know, she needs a new computer.)

My drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax VL40. I tried jumpering it as Master and also as Master with CLJ in case her computer can't handle 40GB, but got the same message either way.

ANY help you can give would be fabulous, as my friend is freaking out.

By the way, using the Bootmaster CD, we could view her files, but we couldn't figure out how to copy them, other than copying one at a time.

THANK YOU!!!!

Damsels in Distress

Edited by lizgold, 29 December 2007 - 05:45 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
slave her hard drive to your computer and copy all her data to yours ...or burn it all to cd/dvds...or external usb hard drive...

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well, of course I tried that first. My computer recognized her drive but said it wasn't formatted. I tried some NTFS reader programs but still couldn't read it.

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OK, we solved the problem! :) Found help at this article on file recovery and recovered my friend's files using FindNTFS.

Thanks & good luck....