Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

acal122

acal122

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright so here is my deal. Last night out of the blue my computer just shut off and started restarting by itself repeatedly. I have no clue what happened. I'll walk you through the sequence of events that happen when I turn on the computer at this moment. 1. Turn on the computer 2. Log on Names load and I click on desired Log in name 3. Everything Freezes for about 2 minutes then Popups start coming up saying things like. Microsoft Windows- The system has recovered from a serious error. and Everything starts closing down via the - encountered problem and needs to close pop up.

Also a pop up says An exception has occured while trying to run C:\WIndows\system32\NcvCpl.dll,NVstartup and requests a Registry change named Userfault Check among others.

After many restarts I was able to have some time to run a small virus scan before the system restarted itself and it encountered this- Gamegaurd.des Virus Obfustat.LZZ 159.69kb.
The computer also runs a check once and a while, I believe its a disk check which involves 3 Steps and it found the following - DAPOhred.exe in File $I30 and DELZIP~(+-).DLL in file $I30

I am really sorry for bothering you guys just wanted to share my problem to see if you guys had heard of this. I know my information is all over the place, but that is how I feel right now and that is the information I can get when I start the computer. I tried to organize it the best I could even it is still sloppy. The computer sometimes lets me play around with some stuff before it shuts down with the Blue screen of death... which I can't really analyze since it flashes for approximately 2 seconds.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Acal :)

Edited by acal122, 29 December 2007 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sounds like you have definitely picked up some malware. Read through this area:
Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

Post your HijackThis log here:
Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Next time you get in there, have a look at the event viewer in admin tools. Post the relevant errors here, please.
Johanna

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for both of your comments. I really appreciate it and I will get back to you with the information you told me to get. Thanks alot.

The Hijack this log is going to be hard to get since I can only access the icons for a few minutes sometimes I can get in for a while. It is a really weird virus It lets me in sometimes, but most of the time I have no luck and I just get the Blue Screen of death or annoying restarts.

Thanks,

Acal

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you know how to shut off the auto restart? Control Panel> System> Start up and Recovery> Advanced
untick "automatically restart"
If (when) it blue screens then, note the error here.
Johanna

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright, this is what I got from the BSOD- Technical Information :

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xBF8059F6, 0xB4212b30, 0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF8059F6 base at BF800000, DateStamp 45f013f6

Next reboot and BSOD was the following- BAD_POOL_HEADER

0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE192288, 0xE1092350, 0x0c190221)

I am still working on getting into the Event Viewer and If I can get on long enough Ill get the Hijack This log and other things.

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
After looking through the Event viewer I see alot of errors in the System Log starting from last night when the shutdown occured and their are also many application errors alot more than before in the Application log, again starting from the event last night. the Security Log has info starting from last night which I am guessing it is a bad thing considering it is the only data in their. The whole Security Log is full of Succesful Audit's branching from lastnight until today. I dont really know how to decipher and analyze these logs so that is the only info I can give you at this moment. If you want more please just ask I really appreciate the help you have given me so far.

Thanks,

acal

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
A new problem has arisen. Now it seems everytime I try to boot up the computer in either the Safe Mode or Regular Mode It asks for activation of the Windows XP..... Which ofcourse I already had activated I don't know how the Virus could have corrupted the activation, but I can access anything in Safe Mode since it says I need to be out of Safe Mode to activate my Windows and I cant access anything out of Safe Mode because I click on a log in name and my background just comes up pixelated and that is all everything else is frozen. I think this has turned for the worst.

I dont know if I should just wipe my hard drive or not. If any of you tech guys could give me any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for everything.

acal

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
IF you have a Windows XP Install CD, try a Repair Install, see if that resolves your problems. Leaves your data and most installed programs alone, just replaces XP and registry. If not, back up your data and do a Clean Install which wipes out everything and you start from scratch.

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reply! I am off to go try these things out. I will be back with an outcome.

Thanks for your time,

Acal

Advertisements

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
During the Repair Install I encountered some problems. The following files came up with an error message saying: Setup cannot copy the file : query.dll ss3dfo.scr sstext3d.scr tourP.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe

Which lead to the final message saying - Setup cannot set the require Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an Internal Setup error.

Contact your system administrator.

So, I followed the steps in the guide you gave me ( thank you ) , but to no avail nothing has worked yet. I tried to redo the reinstall again, but the same files kept popping up around 70% into the installation.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The most likely causes

Dirty or defective XP CD. Try cleaning with soft cloth. Wipe from center oot toward edge, not in a circular motion.
CD drive
Hard drive
memory (RAM)

Do you have access to another XP CD you can try? If not, try making a copy of the XP Install CD then install from the copy. Sometimes that resolves problems like this.

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the response again Ztruker I appreciate the help. I just made a copy of the XP CD and I will be trying if that works any moment now. If that doesn't work is their anyway I can find out if I have a faulty Hard Drive (which I fear is the problem) or if my RAM is bad ?

If none of these things works I am willing to just wipe my Hard drive completely and start from scrap. Since it was a newly built computer I would not mind doing that and I wouldnt not lose any valuable information.

Thanks,
Acal

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
For the hard drive, go to the HD manufacturers web site and download the drive utility CD iso image. Create a bootable CD from it then boot and run the short test. If all is well, run the extended test.

For ram, see if there is more than 1 stick of ram installed. If yes, remove 1 stick and try it. If still NG, swap ram sticks and try again.

acal122

acal122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I am back and here is my unfortunate update lol. I decided to go ahead and wipe my hard drive. So I downloaded the ISO file from my Hard Drives manufacture site and chose to Wipe the drive and it did so. After the hard drive was wiped I decided to go ahead and insert my XP disk in again thinking maybe I could start all over.

So I proceed inserting my disk and having the PC Boot from disk and I install XP Through that and again some files are missing.. which really is awkward. The files noticeable missing are TourP.exe and a couple at the very end like 98% through the installation. So I switched disks to my copied XP and I finished the install. I restarted the computer and a black screen comes up saying - Invalid BOOT.INI File Booting from c:\windows\ .... after several minutes nothing has happened yet. I really dont know whats going on, I was hoping the hard drive wipe would fix everything. You think it is a problem with my XP or still with the hard drive?

Thanks for everything,

Acal