Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I learn how to build computers?

• Please log in to reply

Xighar

Xighar

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I want to build a computer but I know nothing about parts or specs.
If someone has tips, or links that can help me it would be appreciated. :)

Advertisements

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hey i used this link in my 1st build http://www.buildyour...uk/pc-building/ you can order parts off tigerdirect.com or newegg.com, if you live in canada i have some sites that i can give you but i have to go i will post when i get home aghain
bye

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Easiest way to learn: Lots and lots of research, find out what's what, then buy a bunch of bits off a supplier that look like they'll all fit together and then put them all together. Same with anything else in life, you learn a lot more by hands-on experience than you would reading it off a web page.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I learnt to build computers from taking them apart and putting them back together. Unfortunately they were all old computers (kinda fortunate really, I broke one or two things at first), so I had to go off and research what all the new things were! Back then, RAM was just RAM, "DDR, yeah sure. DDR2, what's that?" or "AGP? Yeah it's great... PCIe? oh PCI is lame, is PCIe just something slightly better?".

So for the actual _building_ of a computer (physically putting it together) you'll want hands on practice, best way to learn. It'll teach you how strong parts are ("Hrm, I wonder if i'll break this video card trying to get it in here... oh well *forces it in*), and how best to get them in.

For getting the parts, do research. I didn't do research when I bought my computer at the start of 2007 (I had no idea back then :)) Now I realised I got ripped off and I have to upgrade almost _EVERYTHING_ in it to use any modern parts.

Make sure all your parts will go together, don't buy DDR3 RAM if your motherboard only supports DDR2, don't buy 1066mhz DDR2 ram if your mobo only supports 800, don't buy RAM that needs 2.4v if you know your mobo only goes to 1.8v (Most of the time you can change this in the BIOS, but make sure you can before you waste money), etc.

Don't buy an AGP video card "because it's cheaper and it's 512mb as well!" when you have a PCIe slot, don't buy a Core 2 Quad when your mobo can only handle single cores or whatever. Just make sure all your parts will go together, and feel free to post what you're planning to upgrade to here so that we can all check it out.

Sorry for rambling, but I have nothing better to do with my night.

~Seltox