Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

To RAID, or not to Raid...

• Please log in to reply

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello all. Im wanting to create a media center, with at least 2-3 TB of space on it for ripping my DVD collection. Now im not sure exactly what the best method for doing this would be, such as raid or JBOD, ect. Im just looking to take some 1 TB hard disks or a bunch of 500GB hard drives, and put the movies alphabetically onto them. I prefer the movies not to be striped across all of the hard drives, so that way if theres a failure I can just replace the hard drive and the movies that were on them, as opposed to the whole volume(and my entire collection) becoming corrupted. I guess it would basically be a bunch of seperate independant disks.

Im just confused as to what the best method or approach would be to this idea. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you :)

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i would not use just a raid 0, you NEED some form of reliability in there. if you can afford to loose half your space, raid 1 will give you the best reliability. every drive has a spare copy. raid 0+1 will allow you to use raid 0 stripes, but this striped volume will be mirrored to another volume, again, you will loose half your space. now raid 5 is neat. lets say you have 4x1TB drives, you will be able to use 3TB and 1TB will be reserved for pairity and spread across the four drives. if any one drive fails, your raid controller can rebuild the data on a new drive from the parities on the other three. this way you only loose 1/4 of your space, but still have protection against single drive failure.