Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will this work?

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Could someone tell me what steps I am missing to build a working computer?( also am I missing any drivers I may need to install?)
NOTE: I will be using my old speakers, mouse, keyboard, and router.

1. I am going to buy a barebones kit from tiger direct which includes a MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard, 2 GB of PC6400, a Full Tower Case, a 600 Watt Power Supply and an AMD A64 X2 5400 processor @ 2.8 GHz.

2. I am going to purchase a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive.

3. I am going to use a DVD Drive in my current computer and put it in the new case.

4. I would buy an OEM copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
Side Question: Will buying an OEM copy prevent me from getting more RAM and another GPU in the future?

5. I am going to buy an 8800gt. ( I may get another next year if the OEM copy of Vista allows me to.)

6. I put the hard drive, DVD drive, and the video card in their appropriate places and then I connect them to the PSU if needed.

7. I power up the Computer and Setup the MotherBoard.

8. I put the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and insert the disk and install Vista to the NFTS thing new partition thing to the C:

9. I install the video drivers but not the sound drivers because I will be using the Onboard sound feature my MOBO comes with.

10. I can use the computer.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if i remember correctly, the OEM version will only make you activate again if you swap out a motherboard/cpu/harddrive, and even so, if you have trouble activating you can usually explain to microsoft on phone and they'll get you through it (albeit they make you feel like a criminal) nevertheless it will work if you plan to upgrade those components.

and when you get the system built and windows installed, you will need to install ALL drivers your motherboard's cd comes with. don't skimp out or hardware may not work properly. its a good idea to grab the latest drivers off of the manufacturer's website.

keep in mind though, the main problem with OEM copies of windows, is microsoft only wants you to install it on that one computer. even if you remove it from this computer, it is illegal to install it on another computer in the future.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Could you give us a link to the psu(power supply)?

The best advice I can give you is don't use a psu that comes with the case, these are typically junk and will get you in trouble.

The hard drive, is it sata?

A oem copy of windows will allow you to upgarde the video card or any component for that matter except maybe the motherboard, the motherboard is a gray area if your motherboard fails and you have to choose a different one because the board you were using no longer is available MS may grant you permission providing they don't veiw it as a upgrade, a phone call is a must here. For this reason I always recomend the retail version.

Cass fans?????? You will need a bare minimum of one in the front drawing cool air in and one in the rear pushing hot air out of the case. A side fan and top fan if your case permits is also a good idea.

After the windows install and you run the motherboard cd get a virus scaning software then get all the MS updates.

These are just the basics, typically I build the computer outside the case in a minimal config to ensure the core components are good

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay thanks alot guys. I was just wondering, how likely is it that the motherboard I buy doesn't work?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
it's a pretty low likelihood of getting a DOA (dead on arrival) motherboard. as with anything you buy it's possible to get a broken thing. but why should this be particularly risky?