Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie needs help in backing up computer files.

• Please log in to reply

turbovanman

turbovanman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am starting up a new computer and was told to back up the operating hardware thru the USB port. I also have a home computer I would like to back up all my info and have a work computer with Window 98 that I want to back up, and then transfer all my saved data except the DOS work program to my new computer. Both my new work computer and home computer have Windows. I've search and found nothing. TIA.

My work computer is an old 233 pentium, my new work computer is a Compaq P4 and my home computer is home built jobbie from a friend that has sinced moved away.

Simon

Advertisements

mondrawy

mondrawy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So whats wrong with just copying your data over to a USB flash drive or cd ?

turbovanman

turbovanman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Mmmmmmmmmm, I don't know how, hence the question.

And it is possible to transfer all my old files from my Windows 98 computer to the new computer with XP?

turbovanman

turbovanman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow, no one?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

And it is possible to transfer all my old files from my Windows 98 computer to the new computer with XP?

Buy a USB flash drive that works on Windows 98. Put it in a USB port. It will show up in My Computer as probably Drive E or Drive F. Copy what you want there. Then put it in the XP machine, same thing again, copy it back.

Alternatively if you have a CD writer in the old machine, burn the files to CD using something like Nero, Roxio, and then just copy it back in XP.

The other alternative is to take the side off your cases, hang the old hard drive off the appropriate connectors on the XP machine, and fire it up using the old drive as a second drive and copy what you want that way.

turbovanman

turbovanman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Buy a USB flash drive that works on Windows 98. Put it in a USB port. It will show up in My Computer as probably Drive E or Drive F. Copy what you want there. Then put it in the XP machine, same thing again, copy it back.

Alternatively if you have a CD writer in the old machine, burn the files to CD using something like Nero, Roxio, and then just copy it back in XP.

The other alternative is to take the side off your cases, hang the old hard drive off the appropriate connectors on the XP machine, and fire it up using the old drive as a second drive and copy what you want that way.

Thanks. I tried the USB thing but for some reason, it won't load the driver. Phoning friends and such, I found a guy that can do it for me and he said he will show me what to do for future use.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Win98se requires a driver for any USB flash drives.

For future, best to just slave the HD and copy accordingly as suggested by Neil.