Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

password on repair console

• Please log in to reply

danny.s

danny.s

• Pip
  • 8 posts
on running the windows repair console from the xp disk i am asked for the administrators password ?

i have put in what i thought it was but with no luck.

would this password be the log in password for the admin ?

or would it be some other password that was set years ago and now forgotten.

there were only 2 users, admin and 1 other, and both users were logging on fine.

if for what ever reason i cant get passed the password what can be done..

wanting to avoid re installing windows due to data loss.

thanks

Advertisements

mondrawy

mondrawy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You sure you had a password for administrator account ? Try logging in without one. If that fails you can try ressetting the admin account's password.

If your 2nd user account is also an administrator you can log in with that and remove/change the password of the other user acount without needing to remember the old one.

danny.s

danny.s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
its the xp recovery process thats running from the xp disk on DOS

i have typed the admin password, but its saying its wrong.

if i just press enter it gives the windows command prompt ...

i dont know what to do at this point. i want to repair windows as after a new motherboard instalation i cant get windows to boot.

if i type help at the command prompt it gives lots of commands.

?????

danny

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pressing Enter at the prompt with no password entered means there was no password set in the first place.

The first thing to do at the command prompt under the Repair Console is to do a CHKDSK - type "CHKDSK /P /R", press Enter and let it run. When finished, type Exit, press Enter, and try a Windows repair again.