Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't run System File Checker.

• Please log in to reply

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Help, It doesn't show up. I type sfc /scannow and it won't show up! I also am getting an error whenever I click off Windows Explore saying "An error has occurred and must shut it down" but only if I click off! Which doesn't make sense. Before all this happened, I tried to update some drivers (which didn't work) and I ran that "CCleaner" program and selected the fix registry option. I backed up my registry, but then I deleted it (not in recycle bin) because I thought I didn't need it.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
That reminds me, I tried using system restore, but It said "System Restore Incomplete" what could this mean? It's not a virus because I did a full scan like two days ago.

Edited by Don'tcompute, 30 December 2007 - 03:09 PM.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Also, where do I put that registry file I'm supposed to create? Can I put it anywhere on my drive?

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
The guide in the link you gave me didn't fix it. Please help. One thing I've noticed are that a few hidden folders are gone in the "root" directory of my HD. I think this was because of that CCleaner program. Unfortunatly, I can't check to see if they were necessary folders with the "System File Checker" because It still won't start.
Please help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I use CCleaner on a daily basis and it never, ever, failed me or deleted necessary files.

What drivers did you try to update and what happened when the update failed.

If you have XP installation CD I think that you should consider XP repair. You can use the link in my signature for a G2G guide. It's not always successfull but worth trying.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well, when you right-click on the local disk (in my case, drive C) and click propeperties, there's a hardware tab that I clicked on, so I double-clicked on everything in the list and chose the "update drive" option, each one failed. Could this do anything to my system?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In the same place you have the option to "Roll Back Driver". Use this option for each of the devices shown.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I just fixed the "Windows Explorer Error" I just unchecked a box in Internet Explorer that said something about third party browsers. And I already tried the rollback drivers, it said it couldn't do it.
Well, now the only thing I have left is the SFC not going on.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to restore the system to a date before the occurance of the problem. Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Oh, I found out why system restore wasn't working. It's because I have the "Protection For My Symantec Poduct" on in Norton Anti-Virus. Everything seems to be working good. The only reason I wanted to use System File Checker was because of that "Windows Explorer Error" Which I fixed.

Thanks for the help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.