Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new 320Gb hard disk drive only 'looks' to be 131Gb when rec

• Please log in to reply

paulmarkj

paulmarkj

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I bought a 320Gb drive to replace the old HDD. My PC's recovery disks don't work so I'm using XP installation disks.

At boot time, the PC recognises the disk size = 320Gb, but during the XP installation, a screen say it is only 131Gb.

The blue screen says:

"Windows XP setup

131070 Mb Disk 0...

C: Partition1 [FAT32] 4282Mb
Unpartitioned spaces 126786 Mb"

So what do I do to find the the full 320Gb? I have done nothing to the disk so far, should I partition it before I try to recover XP? And if so how?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You either need an XP cd which includes SP2 or you can make a slipstreamed XP cd using nLite that has your XP cd and SP2 upgrade included.

Curious as to why your recovery cd's wouldn't work?

Also, is the XP cd you are using from another system (OEM) or a retail version?

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The recovery disks probably don't work because the recovery data is on the old hard drive.

paulmarkj

paulmarkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the replies - I don't know why the disks weren't working before, but they are now, so all is well.