Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

should we upgrade routers?

• Please log in to reply

jb1468

jb1468

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have a netgear combined router/modem and i notice that updates are available and multiple updates are available for all models......should i work on the principle of if it aint broke dont fix it....or should i update when updates are available?.....interested in your thoughts/experiences as had different views expressed already!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
two trains of thought,
If it works right do not mess with it has always been a good Idea, but mainly with hardware. since you know how it works and the upgrade is unknown it is natural to feel uncomfortable with change.
The upgrade is new instruction on how to do things (better, faster) and will give you better performance from the hardware. For a router this may give you better download speed, or maybe the router you have is known to stall during download, or other issues, and the upgrade is a fix for known issues.
I would go for the upgrade but it is realy a matter of what you feel comfortable doing.
The designer of the product would not have spent the time and resources to make an upgrade if it was not an improvement for the product.

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
The last [bleep]ing time I did that my router went dead on me, and that was a Linksy router, now I'm on a AT&T 2wire router, which is a DSL modem/wireless router, and I got it at Best Buy.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

If it works right do not mess with it has always been a good Idea

If you are happy with the way the router works and do not wish to upgrade then do not upgrade. It is your router, your decision.