Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shell Hardware detection Service Slows Computer

• Please log in to reply

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
After reloading SP2 I found by elimination that Shell Hardware Detection service, auto or manual, was slowing down any action I was trying to do ie Click on a desktop icon and nothing would happen for about two to three minutes. And from boot to loading personel settings takes about 3 mins and then I get an background desktop with no icons for about 4mins then icons burst into life, and if I place the mouse over the task bar I get the egg timer for about another 2-3 mins. Now when I disable the Shell Hardware service from winows starting to desktop about 1min.40 seconds, the shutdown from start eggtimer for about 2mins and then shutdown. I have tried disable on the RPC service, I have disabled the CD DVD drives and USB still very slow boot etc. It seems the only way I can have a usable computer is to disable Shell.I have run every spy bot spy ware Norton that I can think of all report no problem luverly clean machine. :) Any ideas as to what I can do :) I'm wondering if I can download another Shell Hardware service file? :) My operating system is XP Home

Edited by nickyboy1, 30 December 2007 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

chatterboxajl

chatterboxajl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue with Shell Hardware Detection. It take about 5 mins to load the PC unless I turn it off. Is there any way of re-loading it.

Thanks