Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply

katie0111

katie0111

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I hope someone out here can help me...

My computer just stopped working out of the blue, when I turn it on the Windows XP loading screen comes on for a couple minutes then the BSoD comes on with the stop code 0x000000ED, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I haven't installed any new hardware lately so I assume it must be a virus? I wasn't able to boot in safe mode so I put in the Windows CD and booted it from there. I ran Recovery Console, typing in chkdsk c: /r, it ran until 75%, froze for about 10 minutes then dropped down to 50% completed and hasn't moved since. I don't know what else to try. This happened to me about a month ago and I reformatted my computer and it has worked since, I'm hoping there's another way to fix it. Any ideas would be excellent...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Okay so after Recovery Console tried for a while, another BSoD came up...
Stop 0x000000CE, DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys

HELP!!??

Edited by katie0111, 30 December 2007 - 10:55 PM.

Advertisements

bdrew6

bdrew6

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, you gotta love those STOP errors.
Unmountable boot volume errors usually mean that the HD is going bad or the boot sector has been corrupted.
More then likely if you have had this same problem in the past then the hard drive has bad sectors on it and has become unstable.
I have had this happen to me once or twice and the quickest way to fix it would be to put in a new hard drive and install windows. Thats probably not the answer you would like to hear, sorry.

katie0111

katie0111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've heard HP computers have had hard drive problems, my computer is still under a product service plan, hopefully that will cover this...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I've heard HP computers have had hard drive problems, my computer is still under a product service plan, hopefully that will cover this...

All computers will have hard drive problems eventually. They're just mechanical bits that eventually wear out.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure yet that the problem is with hard disk. I am sure that the partmgr.sys error is not related to the hard disk.

Please find out the make and model of your hard disk, enter the manufacturer's site and download it's diagnostic tool, make a bootable cd and run a complete (not quick) scan of the disk. If you need any help please let us know.

Regarding the other error, it seems that repair installation of XP is your best bet. You can use the link in my signature to G2G repair guide. It might be that the two problems are related and would be fixed by xp repair.