Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD+-RW/R CDRW combo drive help!

• Please log in to reply

fsstnotch

fsstnotch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, here's the deal. I am currently in Iraq so some material is difficult to get to via the net (drivers etc)

My laptop (HP Pavilion DV8210us) had Vista ultimate. It started giving me a message that my hard drive was failing and had errors. It originally had 1 80gb 5400rpm HD and I upgraded to 2 INTERNAL 7200RPM 100GB drives. I inserted the recovery disc that I had made and what do you know.. the disc doesn't work! I had no Vista discs so instead I put XP SP2 on the new drives. I've got the whole system up and running except the DVD+-RW/R CDRW combo drive. XP recognizes the drive as a DVD RAM drive, CDRW drive. It will play DVD's and CD's just fine. When I insert a DVD-r it detects it as a burnable CD, but no DVD burning functions.

XP installed the drive as
Name:
Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K16.
Type
DVD/CD-ROM Drive
Manufacturer:
(Standard CD-ROM drives)
Driver:
5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

If I open My Computer, it is listed as a CD drive. I am using Nero 8 Ultra software.

On the HP box that the laptop came in, the drive is listed as:
8x DVD+-RW/R CDRW combo drive with dual layer

I'm trying to burn a DVD-r which worked fine until I installed the new drives and XP. I installed the new drives with the main drive (operating system) as Device 0, and the 2nd drive as Device 1. New hard drives are Hitachi hts721010g9at00. Both drives are working fine. I've been messing with this for about a week now and I'm starting to get frustrated! I've tried uninstalling and adding it again but it never changes anything. Any help would be appreciated! thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need burning software such as Nero or Roxio. XP has no built-in support for DVD burning on its own.

fsstnotch

fsstnotch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Using Nero 8 ultra

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Always worth an update:
http://www.nero.com/...ero8-update.php

fsstnotch

fsstnotch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll try it. 183mb! eek! That's gonna take a few hours to download!