Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Daniel90

Daniel90

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my nVidea 6200 256mb TC video card. I have a $200AUD cap and have come across the Inno3D IChillite 8600GT XStriker3 http://www.inno3d.co...0gt_ddr3_xs.htm. It has good reviews and performance marks. Is this a wise choice or should aim for something different? My specs are as follows:

Intel P4 541 3.2GHz CPU with HT
1024 DDR SDRAM
200GB SATA HDD
Win Vista
PCI-E graphics interface
300W PSU (thats from customer service specs but I am yet to actually open the computer up and have a look)

Any help is greatly appreciated :).

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Personally i'm just waiting til the 8800GT drops in price. In my opinion I think it would be a good idea to wait for the 8800GT (or maybe something else in the 8800 series) to lower in price, as they are very very good cards :) Unfortunately I don't have anything more to add, coz it's new years eve and i'm running short on time, so I can't go and research your cards.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, taking your pc spec into account, I would say 8600GT/X2600XT is a wise choice. Your current 300watt should be enough to tackle the VGA card.

8800GT needs a good and reliable power supply and surely bottlenecked by your processor (Pentium4). Also you might want to consider to upgrade your power supply for future needs.. but for your current setup, a 300watt power supply is good enough :)

Daniel90

Daniel90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help guys! :)

pyrocajun2707

pyrocajun2707

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
The 8800 is a GREAT graphics card, but it, like all those new superpowered cards out there, uses up loads of power. Trust me on this one, dude. Get a new PSU before you fry the one you have. At LEAST 450W.

ford123

ford123

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Spam removed. Dink banned.