Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen X800 GTO

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I was playing games on my computer last night, my computer was working fine, and I shut it down.

Today when I tried to boot it up, the screen was black, not even the BIOS checks showed up. I tried swapping between my VGA and DVI connection via my converter and it still didn't show up. I actually unhooked everything, except for my hardrives, motherboard, and video card and still no sign of a picture. I removed the video card and replaced it and yet no picture. The fan is spinning fine on the card. I have had VPU crashes in the past. I don't overclock the card, and I recently cleaned it out. I don't know what could possibly be wrong. One night it works fine, and the next day it doesn't even show a picture.???!!!??

SAPPHIRE RADEON X 800 GTO 256 PCI express 16x.

Advertisements

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I had another problem as I was putting the parts back in my computer. Has anyone heard of the heatsink fan frame melting on an AMD Athalon X2 4200+ melting and so the fan moves around. I found that as I was standing my case back up. So let me map it out for you. CPU, on top is a HEatsink, on top of that is a frame for the fan to screw into, and then teh Fan... I'm talking about the frame. A corner of it appears to have melted and cracked and now it is borken into about 4 pieces. I am taking it to a custom computer store, and see if I can get some help with it. Can anyone tell me where I can get just the frame for the heatsink and Fan, so I can just re attach the fan to the heatsink, so I don't have to go through the whole mess of replacing the heatsink and Fan on top of the CPU, and have to mess with artic silver 5 again. Thanks again guys

Strikermed

P.S. I still need some thoughts on the video card problem. If you think the Card is faulty, plz suggest some Geforce replacements... I'm sick or ATI I have had 2 cards now fail within 2 years. I'll switch if I can't fix this problem.. (spending range: $100)

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

Don't know about the frame for your heat sink but as for the other problem, have you tried taking everything out I mean EVERTHING out disconnect EVERY wire and EVERY component (even take the CPU out and everything) and place the mobo and etc on card board? And also clear the CMOS.

If you still don't get the BIOS post after that I would contact your mobo manufacturer.

Hope this helps... you got nothing to loss right? :)

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
So are you saying it is a motherboard problem? not a video card problem? I'll try that, because it looks like I'm gonna have to take off the heatsink and fan anyway to replace the fan. I need to do that... probably get an AMD heatsink and fan from COMPUSA. they have gong out of ales going on.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Is this Black screen thing because of my motherboard? I am going to try pulling everything off the motherboard except the video card, and see if it will post, and attempt to reset the CMOS and see if that will repair the problem. after this, is this a video card problem if it doesn't work?