Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected computer overheating

• Please log in to reply

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i looked under the advanced tab and there was nothing to do with RAM voltages =S

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I'm sorry under the advance tab then "norhtbridge chipset config" then " memory config" is should be listed as
"DDR Refearance Voltage" and is most likely set to Auto, change to 2.6, don't forget to save when you exit bios.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i changed it to 2.6 and still getting crashes and blue screens in-game :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
memtest

Is the ram still hot?

Try running memtest, test one stick at a time, leave it run 3 hours for each stick unless it shows lots of errors then stop it.
Could you list the error message when it blue screen's

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
sorry it's taken me ages to reply, i've had a busy time over christmas and such :)

i've run the memory test and it said that it found no errors, I no longer get blue screens but my computer just freezes now and i get the occasional error message from Xfire

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
what kind of GFX card do you have? because if your crashing ingame, then it might mean that your card is overheating.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GeForce 8600GTS I haven't overclocked it or anything and it has the standard cooler that ships with it

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
if you have a thermometer, try getting the temp reading of the card right after a crash. and if its high, then you've got a cooling problem.

do you have good circulation?

EDIT:

Removed by Me.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 04 February 2008 - 05:26 PM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
sorry to mess you guys around with longb times between posts but i have been really busy recently :)

i can't find a thermometer anywhere to measure temp :)

in most of my case there is good circulation, but at the bottom under my gfx card there is a big tangle of wires which i haven't got round to sorting yet, this is just below my gfx card but i did make sure that it didn't obstruct the fan in any way

would it be worth tying all of them back and freeing up more space?