Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC has name I didn't give it

• Please log in to reply

GypsyJana

GypsyJana

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello you wonderful people,
I am back dumbfounded as usual. I got the EVEREST home edition just to check out my system. Under Operating System, then on the side it has a OS code name, which is "WHISTLER", and I have never named it anything like that, nor all the time I have had this pc have I seen that anywhere? ANY IDEAS? Thanks for reading Gypsy

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Micro$oft Code Names

Scroll down for Whistler info.

Ron

Related:
Microsoft Delivers First Beta Release of Next Version of Windows, Code-Named "Whistler"

Edited by Major Payne, 31 December 2007 - 07:21 AM.

GypsyJana

GypsyJana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well I read the link that you gave me, but uh, do I have to have that on my pc? How can they (micrososft) just do that? I still don't understand. Thank you Gypsy

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What version of Everest are you using? I don't think that info is on your system, I think Everest is adding it, basically tourist information.

I have Everest Home Edition 2.20.405 and that info does not appear in the Operating System section.

[attachment=17533:everest.jpg]

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is normal behaviour, please don't worry about it.

"Whistler" was the internal Microsoft codename for Windows XP. Everest knows that XP's working name was Whistler. That's all its telling you.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you want to check against Everest, I suggest using Belarc Advisor. Free to use and provides better information.

Ron