Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot stops on Windows loading screen

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
AMD 2400, Asus A7n8XE Deluxe, 500m Ram, Nvidia 6600GT vid card, WD 80g HD.

Will boot completely in Safe Mode and stays operating. Boot in normal mode, screen goes blank during Windows loading page and then will not respond to anything. Ran RAM test the it is good. Tried different keyboards with no success. Months ago, did the same thing and used a different keyboard and it resolved the issue. I know, sounds strange.
Let me know what else you need. Thanks

PS. Just had a BSOD while display was blank. Here it is:

0X000000EA (oX8211ADA8, 0X82123368, 0XF791FCB4, 0X00000001)
Error in file NV4_disp. Stuck in endless loop.

I have just reloaded the PC from a fresh format of the drive. I loaded the latest Nvidia driver this morning.

Edited by dmcbass, 31 December 2007 - 10:20 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I've run across this issue a few times and it's always been a driver issue. Windows tries updating the video driver and next thing you know you get a blue screen... log in to safe mode and roll back the driver.....( how to here...) Pay attention to the Driver date and version, it probably changes back to a more current date. You'll then be prompted to reboot and it should boot up normal.....

Edited by happyrck, 31 December 2007 - 10:34 AM.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hmmmm, no luck. I rolled back the driver but it did the same thing as before. What next?

PS. I just uninstalled the video card and then let it reinstall on boot up. The display stays up and I can do anything but the refresh rate is terrible. Then I installed on older version Nvidia driver and then the display went blank again. I have again removed the driver, the display is back but the frame rate is again bad.

I updated the bios and still no change. I went from 1012 to 1013.

Edited by dmcbass, 31 December 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What driver did you load? I see the following on the Nvidia site:

ForceWare Release 169 WHQL
Version: 169.21
Release Date: December 19, 2007
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 43.8 MB

http://www.nvidia.co...69.21_whql.html

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
When I loaded that one, I got the lost display. Although I have not tried it since I flashed the Bios. I actually loaded on old driver 93.71. Seems stable and the video is good for now. No BSOD or any bad issues. I guess I will just let it soak a bit and see what happens.

Thanks and Happy New Year

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well it worked for a while and now it is doing the same thing. I totally reloaded the machine with a fresh XP Pro with SP2. I loaded the latest Nvidia driver for the 6600 GT card. I can boot up in Safe Mode but if I try to load Windows normally I lose the monitor after the Windows loading screen. I rolled back the driver to 10.9371 and still the same results.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like it's time for a new, non-Nvidia, video card.

Any chance you can borrow one from a friend to try?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I will ask around. But why do you think it is an Nvidia problem? This machine has worked well for a couple of years in this configuration.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Well, you have a problem and you are using an Nvidia card so my logical brain says try a non-Nvidia card.

Is there any way you can borrow a video card from someone to test with?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hmmm, not really. I am the only computer geek I know. The only cards I have ever bought are Nvidia. And all the other cards I have are PCIE. I will try to come up with something.