Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless router setup issues?

• Please log in to reply

alestor666

alestor666

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok short and to the point its a wireless linksys router not sure exactly what kind 2 of the pcs aare vista one being xp the xp computer connects fine as it is wired to the router the two vista computers can connnect but not realy after plugging in the wireless adapter and choosing that connection as to how to get to the internet it asks for a pass phrase or key i would assume the answer for that would be the numbers on the basic router setup page under the security area after imputing one of those or for that matter the word admin it says its connecting but then it says it has limited or no connectivity the device shows up as an unknown network device and cant connect to the internet now if i go pack to the xp computer and from the drop down of security types i choose off they can all connect just fine but i need to know what is going wrong and what steps\options should be chosen to do it with security on and for that matter exactly what choice should be chosen

currently im not on the computers in question as its a friends house who was having issues my only solution was to shut off the security thing and the parents wish it to be on

any more details needed ill try to provide them thank you in the future

Advertisements

amlife

amlife

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As each and every computer needs an IP address to be able to connect to the internet, when you get "limited or no connectivity" message that means the computer or mostly the router not able to lease an IP address for your system.
your computer will have 169.xxx address or 0.0.0.0 type of address.

this issue happens sometimes when you have high security settings enabled, try to change it (WPA) if you got that already setup. try to reboot the router.

I sometimes experience this with my server so I have configured a static IP address and you can try that on your Vista machine.

go to control panel and to network configuration or network connection and assign any privet IP address

for ex you can type

IP address (192.168.0..99 )
Subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
default gateway you can get it from typing ipconfig in command line window, however is it mostly will be (192.168.0.1)

The primary DNS will be same as your default gateway. and don't worry about the secondary DNS.

Best of Luck :)