Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with install of new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
im trying to install a maxtor 100gig hdd into a dell precision 330 loaded with win xp
i have set the jumper to master, but when i start the computer, it keeps on telling me hit f1 to retry or f2 to load the setup utility

in the setup utility i set the primary master 0 to the new hard drive that i installed (it correctly shows the size). I then save settings, then it reboots and it shows the same prompt about pressing f1 or f2. Any advice???

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Howdy:

Just clarifying something here, but are you saying the hdd you are trying to install already has XP on it?

If so, then it won't ever work until you use your XP cd and run a "Repair" at the minimum and most likely, a full re-install.

Murray

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Sorry i confused you. I got it to work now. But no, the hard drive i was trying to install did not have xp on it, it was brand new. What i forgot to do was install the Cd that came with the Hard drive. After i did that, everything went smoothly. Thanks for your response tho

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
And thank you for the update.

Murray