Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dropped wireless signal

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I have been having troubles with the wireless card inside my desktop. Every now and then it will randomly goto 1mbps speed and low/verylow signal, eventually disconnecting me. The weird thing is I could have my laptop right next to it and it gets 54mbps/very good signal.

My wireless card is a Buffalo WLI2-PC-G545 LAN Adapter.

The router is a Linksys(vonage) WRTP54G.

Note, the router is upstairs, and the computer is on the middle floor.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to why i get dropped signals would be great.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, it is possable that some thing is causing interference with your signal. What electrical devices (fans tv microwave ect) are in between the access point and computer?

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
eh none really, im in a dining room with no electronics, and the router is upstairs with just a modem.

Only reason im confused is the laptop next to me gets perfect speed and signal

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Is there a celing fan? You probaly need to go to the manufactuer web site and update your wireless card software. (NO I can NOT spell) Try moving the laptop having it to close MAY be interfering with the signal.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
there is a ceiling fan in the room below the router, but its never on. unfortunately i cant move my router to another room

Edited by Trippster, 31 December 2007 - 02:50 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK we have eleminated the router as the problem because the other machine works fine. The signal interference (unless it is coming from the laptop) is probaly not the issue, so the problem lies with the wireless card. Could be software needs to be updated, the card is not good, try uninstalling the card and then reinstalling it. (the software not hardware)

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
aight ill give that a try...and its not the laptop either. I just tested it with the laptop a couple times before, atm the laptop is off in another room and my signal dropped about an hour ago for no reason.