Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hello

I've been having severe, overall performance issues with my computer: I tried the forum in malware; I was clean, software; I tried everything, and even reformatted. My computer is still VERY slow(after the reformat), and lags horribly. I run games at 5 fps when they should be running at 50 fps with my current specs.

I think my PC has been gradually burning itself out more and more every day.

For example, now, after only 30-40 minutes of use, if I restart it, I see in the screen the BIOS flashes up with some stats that the temp of my CPU is 75 degrees celcius. I don't know what invoked these extreme temperatures. Only a couple months ago the max I would see it get to is around 63.

I'm not entirely sure that's what the cause of my computer's terrible performance is, but I'm 99% sure it has something to do with hardware.

Please assist me if you can, and thanks in advance.

P.S.
This is my old topic:
http://www.geekstogo...-....html&st=90

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, sounds like hardware problem. Have you clean your cpu from dust? If not, please clean computer components inside the casing with brush, and NO cloth please.

if your processor temperature reach 75 Celcius, then your processor is definitely overheating. You might want to re-apply thermalpaste to your processor.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
it is very possible. There are computers that slow down if the cpu overheats, to avoid permanent damage to the cpu. 75 degrees is very high. Please open the case and make sure that all the fans are spinning freely. Look from the outside and make sure the psu fan is spinning. If there is a cooling fan on your video card make sure it's ok.

Use a soft brush and a can of compressed air to clean the computer. Pay special attention for the following:

1: The fan of the power supply unit pulls air from inside the box and pushes it out. Use the brush to clean the air inlets on the inside part of the psu. Don't use compressed air because the pressure may push the dirt into the psu, and we want to avoid this.

2: Use comressed air to thoroughly clean the heatsink of all dust.

3: Use compressed air to clean all the internal parts including the top of the drives and the right bottom corner of the box which is an air inlet on which a fan is installed in many computers.

Try to do all this without moving the ram modules, video card and heatsink. Please report the results.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Aye, I just cleaned it with air a few hours ago again.
I'm running at the moment with one side off and the one fan seems to be spinning alright.
I did a thorough cleaning and it seems to have little or no effect.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have any other fans beside the one in the psu and the one on top of the cpu? If not, then your computer is probably underventilated. What temps do you get with the side cover removed?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
No other fans besides those two.

My temps are around 50-75 degrees.
My CPU is scalding hot.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your cpu is seriously overheating and I hope it's not damaged. You should add at least to extra fans and if necessary a high performance heatsink for the cpu. Depending on the chasis' structure you should add, first of all, one fan, 8 or 12 cm, at the top of the back side of the computer and another fan at the bottom of the front side. The one at the back should pull the air from within the box and push it out. The one at the front should pull air from the outside and push it into the box. That is very important. If you don't do this correctly the fans will cancel each other.

If this is not enough you should considre a high performance heatsink for the cpu. There are several manufacturers with a range of products. If you buy one make sure to clean perfectly the top of the cpu and use good quality thermal paste if the new heatsink doesn't already have a thermal pad.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I see..
Where might I find such products?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts