Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

canadian vista ?

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Here is a stupid question. Why does MicroSoft have a different version of vista for canada? My wife's laptop (bought in south Florida) has this version. It uses YahooCanada, google Canada web sites in Canada ect. I would understand if the laungish was not english (it does display french if selected).

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello,

This sounds like it's just a regional setting on Vista. Many websites will go by the regional settings on the system when available. Go to Start | Control Panel and choose Clock, Language, and Region. Under Regional and Language Options, click Change the country or region. You can then set it to the United States, if it is different.

Regards,

Ax

hfcg

hfcg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Thank you for the reply. The regional settings was my first thouht , everthing is set to united states in location and eastern time u.s. when I open I.E.

Advanced Search
Search Preferences
Language Tools

Search: the web pages from Canada
Google.ca offered in: Français
this is the same for yahoo. not a big deal but I am curious. thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Google redirects itself to appropriate sites based on your IP address. Same with Yahoo.
If it sees you live in Canada, it'll go to the Canada Google site on its own. If you lived in France, it'll redirect you to Google.fr.

hfcg

hfcg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I now live in Kentucky and have a static IP, Before I lived in south Florida, never been any farther north than KY ( the laptop was bought in FL)