Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will This Pc Run World Of Warcraft Smoothly?

• Please log in to reply

voyaging

voyaging

• Pip
  • 6 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883103095

I am very interested in this computer to use as my gaming computer. The thing is, the only semi-graphics-intensive game I play is World of Warcraft. My current PC is able to run it at a steady 5-10 FPS, so you can see why I would want an upgrade. So my questions are:

1. Will this be able to smoothly run World of Warcraft at a steady 30+ FPS in both indoor and outdoor scenes, and:
2. What kind of detail settings will it be able to do so at? I'm really hoping max detail settings at a 1280x1024+ resolution, and I guess:
3. How would the build quality be on such a system? Is Acer a quality PC-making company? I know many people frown upon buying a pre-built system here, but I don't have the discipline to sit down and build a system of my own. Will the PC be upgradable in the future? What kind of quality is the case? And:
4. I'm worried about the 300W power supply. Is that really enough to power the whole system? Could I run into any problems?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What specification is the computer you're replacing it with?

1) 1280x1024 will probably be pushing it a little bit to get 30fps, as an X1650 is a low-end card now. It'll do it but probably not at a steady 30fps.

3) Acer may have nice cases but in my book that's all they've got going for them. I wouldn't buy one.

4) Upgrade ability on the Acer - you can probably forget it. One comment on NewEgg says its only got one free PCI Slot. 300w will run it now but who's to say it's going to last? And who's to say Acer haven't put a low-end branded PSU in it?

Edited by Neil Jones, 31 December 2007 - 04:18 PM.

voyaging

voyaging

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Computer it'll be replacing:

2.0Ghz AMD Sempron
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
64 MB S3 Integrated Video Card (Eww..)

So, crap basically :).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
You should be able to upgrade the processor, the memory and put a better graphics card in your current one. This will probably work out cheaper than replacing the entire unit. Of course this depends on what sort of motherboard you have now and whether new bits for it are still available.

voyaging

voyaging

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You should be able to upgrade the processor, the memory and put a better graphics card in your current one. This will probably work out cheaper than replacing the entire unit. Of course this depends on what sort of motherboard you have now and whether new bits for it are still available.

I don't think that would work out too well, I'm pretty sure the socket of my mobo doesn't accept any of the newer AMD CPUs. Plus my computer is a pre-built eMachines which I honestly don't trust too much.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Well tell us something about this eMachines computer (a model number would be nice) and we'll see what it looks like and take it from there.

voyaging

voyaging

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
eMachines T3116.

I really appreciate the help by the way :).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Surprisingly, the machine has a separate card for graphics. Normally never seen on eMachines.
You can feed it more memory and any separate graphics card will be better than the onboard one, but the processor upgrade isn't going to happen because its the old 754 type and these new have disappeared altogether.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
You can probably make a complete and better system for that much money.

Soorena