Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Step 1

• Please log in to reply

eikon

eikon

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I was attempting to follow the instructions outlined in “You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Malware Cleaning Guide.” I hit a problem at step 1.

While in safe-mode I tried running AVG Anti-Spyware. It sort of started but before I even made it to the “settings” tab, it said it found an infected file. But the file name and location looked like the AVG exe file – it was named something like avgas.exe or something … sorry, I didn’t write it down.

That didn’t look right, so after several failed tries to get to the settings, I ended up using LavaSoft AdAware. It picked up 9 files. I believe those were quarantined but when I tried to delete them, I got a fatal error and a pretty blue screen.

So, reboot in safe-mode to try and run AVG. Still no dice. I rebooted in regular-mode and ran AVG. AVG found 4 items (5 traces). It took 4 hours to run. It did not save a log even though it’s set to save a log. That doesn’t seem right either …

My question is, do I need to run it again in safe mode, or can I proceed running “SUPERAntiSpyware Home Edition?” I should mention that I already started running this … it’s been 5 minutes and it’s already found 8 things.

Another question is, how in the world do I know it’s safe to run Windows Update? Especially when I need to connect to the internet each time to get these programs and their updates.

Thanks for the information on this web site. I wish I were more of a computer geek ... but I'm not, which makes this process completely painful.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Hello

I would leave the AVG anti-spyware step and instead run SUPERAntiSpyware Home Edition in Safe Mode.

It sounds like you have a new form of the Vundo infection, so you will need to post in the Malware Removal forum

eikon

eikon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you!