Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable_boot_volume

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sputniks

Sputniks

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
This problem is with a hp laptop (not the computer I'm using now) with windows xp home. when I try to start up the computer, the hp logo comes up... then the screen that says windows was shut down improperly comes up, and when I click on the option to start windows normally, the xp logo comes up and goes off.. then a blue screen flashes that says "unmountable_boot_volume" than it goes back to hp logo and then goes back to the improperly shut down screen and when I try to start in safe mode a lot of writing scrolls down the page, and then nothing happens and if I hit enter the whole loop starts all over again. When I restart the computer (while holding F11) using the hp recover disc it brings up system information with two options F1 resume or F2 setup or exit. I tried F1 and the computer went into the same loop. When I tried F2 the first time it brought me into the system recovery disc, I didn't want to reformat it (I have pictures on hard drive I don't want to lose) so I exited it. The second time I tried F2 it took me into hp e diagnostic tool (which I ran and this was the outcome...HDDO (Pri Mst)
Test Failed 12/31/07 17:44:46
HDDO (Pri Mst): Smart Error
Error Code: 9640) , I do have access to system settings in the hp e diagnostic tool. Is there anything I can do with the hp e diagnostic tool to help me restart the computer so I can get in there, so I can save my files? (I want to save my pictures) :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by Sputniks, 31 December 2007 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error can normally be fixed by running CHKDSK from the Windows Recovery Console.

Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302 for details.

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Neil Jones,
but I tried to boot up from floppy discs and this is what it said..."file\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded Error code 4108" and I don't have a cd boot disc, just the floppies.
When I ran the "hp e diagnostic tool" and it said
HDDO (Pri Mst)
Test Failed 12/31/07 17:44:46
HDDO (Pri Mst): Smart Error
Error Code: 9640)
Someone said I should disable SMART and then try again. Is this possible, and if so how do I do that?
I hope so.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SMART can be disabled but it's doing you a favour. It's telling you the drive is on the way out. Your best bet is to replace it.

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Neil Jones,
any ideas how I can get around this problem so I can get into my hard drive and save some of my files.
thanks again

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso ... download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here ..and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...then drag the window to the
right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to

the narrowest you can..drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Edited by happyrck, 02 January 2008 - 04:15 PM.

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi happyrck,
thanks for your help, I have puppy in the computer and I looking through my files. I've found a couple pictures but the pictures I'm looking for I can't seem to find. Does puppy keep some files hidden? Is there a way I can search for jpg's? Please let me know.
Thanks again

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi happyrck,
Thanks for all the help, I got all my files (pictures and all) thanks to "puppy"! Every Tech I talked to and went to see about my hard drive said there is no way to get into the hard drive to get my files, and that I would have to send it away and have it professionally done. You showed them lol.
Thanks again!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)