Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAR Corruption

• Please log in to reply

Wallbridge

Wallbridge

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there!

I hope this is the right forum to put this question. :)

I just packed a lot of my important files into a single RAR file, password protected, but non-compressed; I used the WinRAR program with the storage type "storage" so there's no compression or anything. I've had unhappy experiences with RAR files being corrupted before, and I was just wondering if this was a common occurence. Should I put my mind at ease that as long as I remember the password, my files will be kosher and snug in their little RAR space? Or is it possible they're all dead now?

Thank you,
Chris

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Compression doesn't affect the files, it just compresses them into an archive, so when you need it you can just un-RAR it and it'll be back to normal. Usually, it wouldn't be corrupt, unless the compressing was cancelled at some point or the data got corrupted before being archived.

Putting a password to it only protects it from unauthorized opening, not to protect it from corruption.

I hope this answers your question.

~Kelvin

Wallbridge

Wallbridge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Kelvin,

Thanks a lot for your answer; it puts my mind at ease. I'll check the files in the archive just in case, but I won't fret about it until I get home thanks to you. :)

By the way, is that an anime Squall I see as your icon? He's my favorite character of all time, so it's always good to see him! Off topic, I know, but I actually own one of those little 1' statues, a real-life necklace shaped like Griever, and a complete set of Triple Triad cards, too.

But anyway, enough geekiness, thanks a lot for the response!

Chris

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
No problems. Glad to help.

Anyway, I'm not sure, found it on another site i was browsing, and decided it was nice so had it for my avatar. Doesn't look much like the Squall I know (from Final Fantasy) though.

~Kelvin