Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cookies, yum yum, cookies taste good, yum yum

• Please log in to reply

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just open up my cookies manager in firefox and just deleted the ones I know I don't need anymore, and I'm wondering does that help clean up my browser and whats else does it do when I delete cookies???

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No problem with deleting cookies except if you log into sites where you wish to be remembered. Deleting those cookies removes all record of site's visit and what ever info is required to make your visit to the site easier for you. If you don't mind a little more effort, you could turn on the "Ask me every time" option in Firefox for setting cookies. Most you can accept for the session only. Others you can deny totally. If a site doesn't respond as you expect, you may have to accept a cookie or cookies for that site.

Your browser is clean as far as cookies go, but you may want to look at the Privacy tab under Privacy data and set clearing the info options you want on closing Firefox.

Ron

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I thought cookies sent information over to the server of the sites I'm on.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Doubtful as all a cookie is is a little text based file which you can open in Notepad.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Cookies don't do any sending in and of themselves. They are read by the site you are on if that site placed one or more of its cookies on your PC. That's how , when you check the "Remember me" check box on GTG or similar site, that it remembers you and you don't need to log in. I can close all browsers, reboot, and go right back to GTG or webdeveloper.com's site and it'll show me logged in as I have kept their cookies until they expire.

They are also use by sites like Amazon.com to track your preferences if you have made a purchase there.

Ron