Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Direct X issues?

• Please log in to reply

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, so to make a long story short, after having to do a system restore on my comp, I have been left with a number of unresolved issues.

the first of these is that I am unable to play Guild Wars. I have been dealing with them all afternoon. After performing updates, defrags etc. its even worse off than before. I get a 3d initiation error which tells me to update my drivers. The problem is that I already have.

the second issue is that I can no longer play warcraft 3 (and I need my DotA fix). again, my comp tells me that it cant find initiate directX 8.1 or better. but whenever I try to re-install directx or update it, the computer informs me that it is already up to date. If at all possible, I would like to not resort to re-installing either of the games

Are there any suggestions as to what I can do about this?

Many thanks.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
have you tried running dxdiag?

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
As a matter of fact, I have.

I seem to have resolved my issues by rolling back the drivers for my video card. That appears to have rid my system of most of its problems.

Thanks though.