Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mail client not properly installed

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I am ready to tear my hair out! I normally print postage and labels with Clik n Ship through the post office online, no problems before. Then, when I went to print a label it said there was a problem with Adobe reader, and closed the window, charging my account even though the label did not print. I reinstalled the reader. The label printed fine (AFTER the post office rang up the same dang label 7 times and I had to get reimbursed.) Then I tried to watch a video clip a friend sent (no problems before) but this time it said I needed to reinstall Adobe Flash Player. I did, and the video played fine. So I go to send an email to a company online, and I get: "cannot perform action because mail client is not properly installed". I never had trouble before, and I have always used outlook express and it is set as my mail client (I checked.) I tried another email to a public office, same error window, mail client not properly installed. I used my reg. repair program, cleaned everything, including active X controls, then I found Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash were gone again. I had to reinstall them AGAIN. Still getting the mail client error, no matter what reg repair does.

How in the heck do I fix the mail client mess? I have already gone online and found the reg fix for "run" with the C: file thing. It didn't work, and OE is listed as my mail client anyway. Help!

Thanks,

Dustman

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
What did you do recently? Have you installed any new programs/plugins? If so, please name them.

~Kelvin

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the response, Kelvin! I began to suspect a recent installation glitch, and I finally had to do a system restore, reload adobe acrobat and reader, and the problem was solved. If I haven't learned anything else about computers, I know they can bring you to your knees in a heartbeat!

Thanks again,

Dustman

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I think there is a problem with your Adobe programs.

Try a clean install of everything associated with Adobe. If you do not have the original installer then I might not suggest you to do so.

Once you have uninstalled it, go to the place where it was installed (eg. C:\Program Files\Adobe) and delete the whole folder.
NOTE: If you have any custom settings/brushes/plugins they WILL be erased. IF you want to keep those, copy them before deleting and paste it somewhere else.

Now, reinstall with the selections you have made the last time it was installed.

-

Anyway, I'd like to ask - what program had this installation glitch? Also, what was the name of the Restore Point?

~Kelvin

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, Kelvin,

It appears to have been the active x controls associated with the Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Acrobat Reader. It seems my virus protection program didn't like them, and the registry repair deleted parts of the programs that evidently were crucial. I just did a system restore to an earlier date before the problem began, I think sometime in mid-December.

Thanks again,

Dustman

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh. Ok, good to hear the problem's solved. :)

Anyway, you should 'command' your program to prompt you before doing so. I'm sure McAfee has settings which would allow you to do so to avoid future problems.

Also, take note: antivirus programs don't like ActiveX controls because most are viruses.

~Kelvin

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks, Kelvin. Actually I'm using Zone Alarm Security Suite, and it doesn't like ANYTHING!! LOL

Have a good one,

Dustman