Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

smart error code: 9640

• Please log in to reply

Sputniks

Sputniks

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I ran "hp e diagnostic tools" on my hp lap top (not this computer) which has windows xp home, and this is what the outcome was...
HDDO (Pri Mst)
Test Failed 12/31/07 17:44:46
HDDO (Pri Mst): Smart Error
Error Code: 9640

:) can anyone tell me what this means and if it's possible to fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The rest of the error message should have been:

[Defective Components]

IDE hard disk drive SMART error: drive(Pri Mst)
Your IDE hard disk is about to fail.
1. Back up your data.
2. Replace the IDE hard disk.
Contact your service provider for further assistance.

Do what it says.

As for a new hard drive. I would buy a new one and use the program that comes on the CD with it to copy everything from the existing drive to the new one, then swap drives and only use the old one for non-important data.

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks Ztruker,
but when I turn on my computer this is what happens...

hp logo comes up...then improperly shut down comes up...then a blue screen flashes that says "unmountable_boot_volume" than it goes back to hp logo and then goes back to the improperly shut down screen and when I try to start in safe mode a lot of writing scrolls down the page, and then nothing happens and if I hit enter the whole loop starts all over again.
So I'm unable to get into the computer to download my files to save them (I have files, pictures I want).

Someone said I should disable SMART then try. Is this possible and if so how do I do that? Please let me know.
Thanks again

Edited by Sputniks, 01 January 2008 - 04:43 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sputniks, would have been good if you had mentioned that you could not boot your machine in the first post as that would have changed my response. You definitely DO NOT want to clone the current HD to a new HD, you would just propagate the problem.

Since you can't boot, the only way I see to save you data is to mount the laptop hard drive in an external enclosure on another PC and copy off your data, then you can format it in the other PC. Put it back in your PC and install XP, install SP2 and all Updates then reload your data and reinstall your programs.

You could also buy a new HD for the laptop and replace the current one. Install XP, SP2 and all updates. Mount the old drive in an external enclosure so you can copy your data, then you can format it and use it for data storage or backup.

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Ztruker,
I think thats what I'm going to do.
Again thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Good luck. Please post back on ho wyou make out.