Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Boot XP Pro not even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

lookinglass

lookinglass

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
First; a sincere thank-you and appreciation for what you folks do!

I think over the past month I've dug myself quite a hole :)

Some background in case it's pertinent....(sorry, this got rather long)
Dell Dimension 8400 with XP Pro including Service Pack 2. I run Windows Auto-Update, so it should have all the latest updates.

System was basically running ok except I was having problems with both of my internal IDE CD/DVD drives. Windows saying there was a problem with the driver, either it was missing or corrupt. I tried repeatedly to update the driver, but it said it couldn't find a better match. Also at first login I would get the following error:
Error Loading:
C:\Windows\system32\bdckqt.dll
The specified module could not be found
RUNDLL

It had been doing this for a while, but didn't seem to have any noticeable impact. I've been stalling until I could afford a new computer capable of playing all the new games my kids are dying to play.

Then things got seriously worse.... I rebooted the system and got the error message saying:
"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully......."
I tried the various choices (last known good, etc...) with the same results including in Safe Mode.
Safe Mode starts loading the drivers stopping at ......\agpCPQ.sys
and then it Blue Screens with the message "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down...."

STOP: 0x0000007B (0x0F7CAF524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I read the "How-to repair Windows XP" (and went and bought a new external CD/DVD so I could hopefully repair) and things were looking more promising booting from the Dell Reinstallation XP Pro CD. Setup would load the devices and drivers as described in the "How-to", and then states "Setup is starting Windows" and then I get the same BSoD STOP error.

So....am I totally toast now or is there still hope?

Thanks for any help, Best Wishes and Happy Holidays!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would start with this MS article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

lookinglass

lookinglass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! Read the article you referenced me to.
It didn't make complete sense, but I tried F6 thinking the drivers were needed
for the new USB CD/DVD drive. I don't have another computer that I could hook the
SATA drive to. Anyways, inserting the CD for my new USB CD/DVD drive was successful.
Setup apparently wanted a floppy (Drive A) as I could see it trying to access the floppy
and it just kept redisplaying "'Insert disk into Drive A and hit enter to continue"

So....On a whim (desperation) in the BIOS I changed SATA Operation to Raid Autodetect / ATA ( I can only guess what you're thinking :) )

SATA Operation:
Raid Autodetect / AHCI (factory default; this is what it was set to)
Raid Autodetect / ATA

The system has only a single 160 GB drive

Setup proceeded as described in the How-To Repair XP all the way through Setup Reboot and XP installation windows! yipee!

Then (there always seems to be a And Then) I got a new BSoD and STOP error after XP installation completed:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ctoss2k.sys

DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
Disable memory options such as caching or shadowing. Restart, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode.

STOP: 0X000000CE

So, I was feeling very lucky that the XP repair had run and seemed to work and I was almost healthy.

Not sure what to do at this point and afraid more desperation actions would be very ill-advised.

Thanks for any advise.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Now I'm confused. What kind of hard drive do you have? If it's a SATA drive then you need to load the SATA drivers from a diskette (no other way for XP) by pressing F6 when booting from the CD. If you don't have the drivers, you should be able to download them from the drive manufacturers web site.

If your drive is IDE then you do not need or want to press F6 during CD boot.

lookinglass

lookinglass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry for the confusion.... I HAD multiple problems and essentially a very dead computer (wouldn't boot safe mode several different STOP errors) and although I can't fully explain, with your help I am now restored, currently downloading Windows XP update 22 of 86 and it doesn't appear that I've lost any files or data!

So, thank you very much and wishing you all the best in 2008!

I seem to have 2 remaining problems:

1) From the How-To repair XP instructions for installing updates after a Repair
From Start->Run "cmd" I get the following error:

cmd is not a valid Win32 application

Therefore I can't complete the instructions to install the 86 updates.

2) I still have a RUNDLL error when logging in:

Error Loading:
c:\Windows\system32\bdckqt.dll

The specified module could not be found.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
c:\Windows\system32\bdckqt.dll

This looks like malware, you should post a thread in the Malware Removal forum

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A google search did not turn up the "C:\Windows\system32\bdckqt.dll" error. As suggested, possible malware.

As for the cmd (command prompt), can you access thru.....start/ all programs/ accessories?

Can you also get your updates thru auto update at M$?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A Google search for cmd is not a valid Win32 application indicates this is often caused by malware as well so I'd say you definitely need to read through this area, see if you can Cleanup Your System

If not, Post a HijackThis log

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.

lookinglass

lookinglass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks again for your help!

I was able to access the command prompt from Start / All Programs / Accessories and run the commands listed at the end of How-to repair Windows XP. And now all the MS updates are installing correctly! :)

Then on to cleaning up the malware.....I'm pretty sure malware was the source of my problems to begin with. I had previous problems with Smitfraud, Vundo and other nasty stuff, that I apparently didn't get cleaned up completely.

The computer started working ok, life and work got busy and I neglected to follow through 100% and get a clean bill of health. :)
I'm guessing you've heard that one before......well I've learned my lesson.

Also learned how foolish it is to not pay for the anti-spyware programs, so you can set them up on routine schedules. The free versions are awesome, but not much value if you aren't diligent in updating and running them. :)

Best wishes in the New Year!