Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to un-hide my folders.

• Please log in to reply

Fc3sZero

Fc3sZero

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry to bother you guys with such a mundane problem but I am having issues. I'm not an expert with computers but I do know my way around them. When I hid my desktop folders, I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to reverse that. The "Hidden" box it grayed out, So i'm unable to click it off. It's not a huge deal becuase I just goto folder options and "show hidden folders" but it bugs me to open folders to see a bunch of should be hidden system files.

I first thought perhaps it were a virus or malware so I ran AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware (all updated) and found the usual bunch of tracking cookies but nothing critical. I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to running those programs and Tune-up Utilities.

I went to the registry and the "hidden" value was "1" so it wasn't that.

I rebooted into safemode and did another scan with all three programs.

anything else i'm missing? :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try booting to Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator. See if you can uncheck the Hidden attribute there.

You can also try opening a command prompt and using the CD command to change to the Folder that contains the folder/folders you've hidden. Then use the attrib command to remove the Hidden attribute from the folders.

Enter attrib /? for usage info.

Fc3sZero

Fc3sZero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
booted to safe mode and logged in as Administrator and nothing.

Did the command prompt and typed in attrib -h mp3s and get the message Not resetting system file - "to lazy to type the full directory"

Edited by Fc3sZero, 01 January 2008 - 11:23 AM.

Fc3sZero

Fc3sZero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm such a moron. I can't believe I didn't think of this... [bleep] I just knocked over my redbull on my keyboard.

Anyways. I just made new folders and transfered all the files over to the new folders and deleted the old ones. Then renamed them back.

Thanks for your help and time tho. I appreciate it and I'll probably be back if I have any other issues.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Just for the record, here's some detailed instructions on how to un-hide a folder (My friends made all of my folders on my school account hidden once, because they are lame. You can't get to folder properties or anything at school, and command prompt is blocked for us. But we're all smart, I just made a .bat file to get into command prompt).

anyway, press windows key + R to get up the RUN thing. Then type in 'cmd' and press enter. This will open command prompt.
Now, for this example, I made a folder named "Test" in "My Documents" and made it hidden.

Long example: Some useful things for command prompt. "dir" will give you a list of files and folders in the current directory thing. "dir /p" will do the same, but list them page by page, incase you have hundred in one folder.
When I opened command prompt, it opened in the directry "C:\Documents and Settings\<my username or whatever> I typed "dir" and saw that My Documents was listed there. Here comes in the "cd" command. type "cd <folder name>" (example: cd My Documents) and it will take you into that folder. "cd.." will take you back one folder.

Okay, once in My Documents, typing "dir" will NOT show my "test" folder, to do that, I need to tell it that I want to view hidden files. (you can read dir /? to get some more info). type "dir /ah". The a makes it check for a certain attribute, and the h sets that attribute, in this case it is hidden files.
The hidden folder should be listed now - so we know we're in the right place.

now, (attrib /? for help) we want to make the folder not hidden anymore. This is easy, for my example it's a simple case of tying "attrib -h Test". :)

Short example: If you know exactly where the folder/file is you wish to remove the hidden attribute from, open command prompt and type "attrib -h <address of the file/folder" or something like that. never do it this way because I can't be bothered figuring out how to make it work :)

--Even though you just went around your problem, this information may still be useful to someone, so i've posted it :)

Edited by Seltox, 01 January 2008 - 12:34 AM.