Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8600gt xxx sli vs. 8800gt

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Could two 8600gt xxx in sli mode outperform an 8800gt?

Edited by georgewashington16, 01 January 2008 - 01:35 AM.

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I don't know definatively, but from my reading of other posts here and some general research I have the impression that a single better card will almost always outperform two not as good cards.

it seems that SLI will only help you get out a few more frames per second from that game, so is only really used by true gamers that can afford it. It doesn't mean you can run like 2 512mb cards fo 1gb of power or whatever. and also you need two of the exact same model cards for SLI.

I think nVidia have just released or completed a mobo than can handle 3 video cards? I dunno though :) Got some newsletter from them about it but I can't remember what it actually said.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Deja vu?

Anyways,

A quote of myself I scrounged up from a similar topic:

The 8800gt 512mb can be had for as little as $260. It will provide performance comparable to a 8800gtx (the $500+ card you were mentioning) at low to medium resolutions, and still be relatively close to it in higher ones.

The 8800gt 256mb can be found for even less, about $210. It too will provide great performance at low resolutions, though at medium-high resolutions, the lack of memory can become an issue. However, it is obvious that you are playing on very low resolutions if your 6800s can play Crysis on high settings.

Nevertheless, I can guarantee to you that either of these cards will outperform 2 8600GTs at any resolution. There honestly isn't even any comparison, as the 8800gt is in a whole different league than the 8600gt. It's like comparing a major leaguer to a T-Ball player. Even the two greatest T-Ball players will never be as good as one major leaguer. (Pardon the baseball simile if you are from a country where they don't play baseball. wink.gif)

About Tri-SLI, it works with the 680i and 780i mobos. I again quote myself:

Tri-SLI is only for those with a ridiculous amount of money to spend. It only works with the 8800gtx or 8800ultra, and with the 9 series just around the corner, it doesn't make any sense for the average consumer to invest in it.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
What if I was to over clock the two 8600gt xxx's(which are already over clocked to 620 MHz on the core clock) to 710 MHz? Also, I have seen someone use liquid nitrogen to his processor on youtube. I was wondering if I could possible use liquid nitrogen in a water cooled case. Thanks.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That's a very marginal overclock, and even if you overclocked the core to 1000mhz (not that the card could actually be overclocked that high), the 8800GT would still be better.

Also, no you can't just use liquid nitrogen in a normal water cooling setup, as it isn't made to withstand that type of cold.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks for the help. But mainly my goal is to only play call of duty 4, 1280*1024 maxed out. I have a core 2 duo @2.2 Ghz and 2 GB of memmory. After the 8900 comes out I will surely get an 8800gt, maybe even two for my 680i motherboard. I was mainly just wondering if the xfx 8600gt xxx and could play COD 4 at these settings and if I need to overclock I will because XFX now has a lifetime warranty no matter how much you overclock.

Nemesis

Nemesis

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

That's a very marginal overclock, and even if you overclocked the core to 1000mhz (not that the card could actually be overclocked that high), the 8800GT would still be better.

Also, no you can't just use liquid nitrogen in a normal water cooling setup, as it isn't made to withstand that type of cold.

I don't think that's the major problem. The Major problem is the cost to keep the liquid nitrogen running which I doubt most of us can afford lol.