Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HI-SPEED USB host controller

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've had this problem for a while, but I only just bothered to say anything about it.

I own a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4gb USB drive, but whenever I plug it into my computer it has a popup saying that i've plugged a HI-SPEED USB device into a low speed USB port or whatever. So when I click on it it brings up the lsit of USB controllers or whatever. Apparently I have 12 USB ports (2 on the front, 4 on the back motherboard I/O, and I've just installed a PCI card with 2 USB and 2 FireWire ports, possible there are 4 internal USB ports or something?).

It says "The USB Mass Storage Device will function at reduced speed. You must add a HI-S{EED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance". I'm not EXACTLY sure what this means. The ideas I have is that it's trying to say I don't have USB2 (I'm fairly certain I do, as on startup, my computer lists a USB2.0 Host Controller), or that I need some sort of software for it. I'm running Windows XP Professional without an Service Packs installed, perhaps I need SP2 to take advantage of the HI-SPEED?

I posted this year because I thought it might be a software problem :) And i'm _hoping_ it is :)

Edited by Seltox, 01 January 2008 - 02:47 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need at least Service Pack 1 (preferably 2) for USB 2 functionality, otherwise nothing will at USB 2 speeds.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
ah, okay then. Thanks for the info.

I've tried to avoid downloading it coz my ISP is lame and I have a 1gb/month download limit... Guess I have no choice now.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Find a friend who can download it or ask a computer shop for a copy. Alternatively get a better internet provider or a better deal from your current provider.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
MS will mail you a copy for free...

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Oh really? sweet! =D