Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

psu upgrade keeps pc from booting?

• Please log in to reply

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Just posted this over in the hardware forum, dunno if it should've been here instead-

hey all, thanks in advance-

Just received a Diamond Radeon x1650 pro and a coolmax 450 watt power supply to run it, was upgrading from an x700 pro and the stock 300 watt psu my emachines T6212 came with.

Opened up the pc case, disconnected the power, then the cables, and installed the new power supply. Tried booting the pc to make sure that everything was functioning before putting in the new graphics card, and the problems started.

The harddrive clicks, the fans spin, the light on the front of the pc goes on, but it will only boot to a screen with the Emachines company logo and 'press f2 for boot menu' and 'F10 for bios'. After going to this screen, the boot process stops. This takes about... a quarter of a second from when the power is turned on.

Sadly, neither of those two options work- that is, pressing f2 or f10 for any amount of time hasn't any effect.

I have tested the harddrive in another pc, and it's fine. When I disconnect the harddrive from the machine and boot it up, it does the same thing it would if the hard drive were connected. Given that, I assume that either the motherboard or the processor are fried- I have no way to trouble shoot either option and am open to speculation.

The most irritating part of my birthday present woes is that when I reinstalled the old power supply, the same problem persisted.

Any help?

Thanks All,

And happy new years.

G

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can you boot from any other media, like floppy,cd?
Is the drive seen in bios/setup?
Is this a ide or sata drive?

Try another data cable

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the response Doby-

No, I am unable to boot from another media, the recovery cd's I made when I bought the machine have no effect.

I don't know how to tell if the drive is seen in the bios/setup, as I am unable to get into either... the pc seems to just freeze... or the keyboard just doesn't work. at all.

I'm assuming it's an ide drive... sata's are fairly new and nice-ish? this pc was a graduation present back in '05.

thanks again mate,
G

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What model emachine is it?

A ide drive will have a 2 inch wide cable and a sata has a 1/2 inch wide data cable. Will you confirm what you have?

To enter bios, start the machine and immediately start tapping the F2 key repeatedly this should get you in bios/setup.

If this don't work try the delete key.

If you get in have a look around and see if the drive is listed there and report back

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey doby-

I appreciate all your help my friend, after another couple hours of tinkering I took out all but one of my ram chips and tried booting... and it worked fine. I had tried moving around all four of my ram chips earlier... but I guess I didn't quite get it to my pc's liking. Anyway, problem solved, thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Happy new years!
G

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome glad its fixed