Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Refreshing my PC but before I do that

• Please log in to reply

MattCharles

MattCharles

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I have an HP Desktop with Windows XP Home Edition that has a program to recover my pc as it was the first day I bought it.
I am having to many PC issues since I don't use half the programs on my computer anymore I feel I should just refresh it again and just reinstall everything that I will be using.

My question is, I have a second hard drive installed and I backed up everything I want on there.
If I use the recovery, it will not touch what I have in my second hard drive correct?

Edited by MattCharles, 01 January 2008 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Are you sure you want to reload the OS? We generally do not recommend that as a fix all to problems.

If you do choose to do a reinstall.....The other drive should not be touched. To be safe, disconnect the drive from the cable.
Also keep in mind that the "refresh" is a complete reinstall of the OS. back to day 1. You will get all the Junk that came with it.
You will have to reinstall all other programs that you have installed after the fact. For those programs make sure you have the keys to reactivate.

Now.... What type of problems are you having? Maybe we can clear them up?
Programs that aren't used can be uninstalled.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Are you sure you want to reload the OS? We generally do not recommend that as a fix all to problems.

If you do choose to do a reinstall.....The other drive should not be touched. To be safe, disconnect the drive from the cable.
Also keep in mind that the "refresh" is a complete reinstall of the OS. back to day 1. You will get all the Junk that came with it.
You will have to reinstall all other programs that you have installed after the fact. For those programs make sure you have the keys to reactivate.

Now.... What type of problems are you having? Maybe we can clear them up?
Programs that aren't used can be uninstalled.

Yes, that is a good idea, I will unplug it, DUHHHH lol.
I do not mind having to do all the re downloading again. I am not using half the stuff anyway, and I want my computer to start running fresh again.

I have an 80 gig hard drive and I have used most of it for nothing. I want to refresh it all so I don't have hidden programs and I will get my hard drive space back.