Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarting during gaming...

• Please log in to reply

glen88

glen88

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey all, i am new.

I put Age of Empires 2 on my computer, i have Windows XP and fit all of the system requirements for the game. I have 256 RAM, but it is at 192 for video sharing or something...

During 1-20 minutes of gameplay Windows will just restart out of no-where...

I took auto-matic restart off so it would take me to the blue screen, it said something about anti-virus mucking it up, and it has said RAM, room on drive all different stuff.

I am out of ideas on how to fix this, this is my last resort....

Please Help!!

Also my brother tried to put a Virtual PC on, and Windows said that it didnt have enough memory, does it look like i need RAM or one of those video cards or something else???

Please Help!!!!

Edited by glen88, 20 April 2005 - 08:38 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I find computers with shared memory with the videocard are always dicier with games just because of all the extra work they do.

I would start with a memory test like memtest86+, then upgrade video and sound drivers

glen88

glen88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
What is memtest86+ is it some kind of test on the internet?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.memtest.org/

glen88

glen88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
gerryf, im not sure how to use this after it has been downloaded...

It says:

"Memtest86+ comes in three different way, first is a pre-build bootable ISO, second is a bootable binary and third an installable package for creating a bootable floppy. Third version are compressed in .zip and .tar.gz."

I dont get how to use this kind-of stuff, can you talk me through the simpliest way of using this program, and i also dont want to stuff my computer.

Thanks in advance

glen88

glen88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also.....

When i get the blue-screen if i write down what it says.....will you be able to pinpoint the problem?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
perhaps....I can pinpoint. You can possibly see the blue screen info now by

start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

and looking for a RED X at the time of the crash in the APPLICATION or SYSTEM logs

The ISO can be burned to a CD if you have the software--an ISO is not a file to be copied, but an image of a CD and requires special burning technicques.

Or you can make a floppy disk and boot with that using the third option...it depends on what you want to do

The easiest is to download the iso recorder and isntall
http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

Then, download the memtest ISO to your desktop, then right click it and choose BURN ISO with a blank CD in your writer.

Then reboot (--- if your PC is not set up to boot to CD first, drop into BIOS and do so) and let memtest check your memory

glen88

glen88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks heeps gerry,

Im going to buy a further 256RAM.

Thanks for your trouble.

forkart

forkart

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Download MagicISO. and burn the iso image onto cd with magiciso. it is a good iso burner.

http://www.magiciso....iso-burnwin.htm