Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM and Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

therock339_2000

therock339_2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Sony Vaio laptop that is a couple years old. I am unable to connect to AIM and Windows Live Messenger. I do have a strong internet connection. For AIM, every time I try to connect it says connection failed and comes up with the option to "Auto configure or change settings manually." When I try to connect to Windows Live Messenger, a pop-up says "We are unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time. Please try again later. To let us try and troubleshoot the problem, click the Troubleshoot button. Error code: 80048820 Extended error code: 80048412." When I click the Troubleshoot button, it says my machine appears to have an invalid IP address. I click repair, but it says it is unable to repair. Also, when I log onto sites on the Internet, a Security Alert pops up. Each time it says "Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site's security certificate. (checkmark)The security certificate is from a trusted certifyingauthority. (exclaimation point)The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid. (checkmark)The security certificate has a valid name matching the name of the page you are trying to view. Do you want to proceed? YES NO View Certificate." I click yes and sometimes will pop-up several more times. I believe there is a virus or something on my computer. However, i have Norton Anti-virus and have run several scans. Can anyone provide any information to help me resolve this problem.

Advertisements

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I pasted in the important lines from Fanatic live Link here

Causes
1. The system clock may be set incorrectly.
2. The Dynamic Link Library (DLL) softpub.dll, may not be registered on the system.
3. Internet Explorer may be using an invalid proxy server.

Resolutions
1. Double click on the clock in the taskbar and make sure the system clock is set correctly.
2. Register softpub.dll using the regsvr32.exe tool.

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
2.In the Open box, type regsvr32 softpub.dll and then click OK.
3.Restart MSN Messenger.

3.Remove any Internet Explorer proxy server settings

1.In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
2.In the Internet Options dialog box, go to the Connections tab.
3.Click LAN Settings…
4.Untick the Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) checkbox.
5.Click OK and OK again Internet Options

Good luck :)