Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replaced motherboard, CPU fan won't slow down

• Please log in to reply

Lolsean

Lolsean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I've just registered here for some help with a hopefully small problem. I'm turning to the internet because neither I nor my friends seem to know what's wrong.

I've just replaced my motherboard, which is the same chip set as my previous one. It would be a Socket 939 board. Currently I've booted several times and had the computer detect all of the hardware again, and reinstall all of my drivers; video, audio, etc.

My problem is this. The CPU fan is spinning at 5k RPMs, which isn't normal. On the previous mainboard, the computer would post, the fan would do a quick 5k RPM spin for several seconds, and then drop to the quiet mode speed. As of right now, the fan is consistently spinning at 5k RPMs, and will not drop to quiet mode on the new board. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go into BIOS, look for a section entitled "PC Status" or "PC Health Status" or something like that. There's normally an option in here entitled something along the lines of "Smart CPU Fan Control". Turn this on. Most boards this is off by default.