Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very Annoying Lag/Connectivity/Gaming Issues

• Please log in to reply

Zealot_115

Zealot_115

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello my names Eric

I have a fairly new Windows Vista laptop bought in March of 2007, the specs are fine, it matches up with most any game i play or is just over perfect...

Heres the problem - It all started with C&C 3 Tiberian Wars, i had major issues i couldnt even connect to the game server without a kick after somewhere around 20 seconds or less - fixed that, works fine i can play with as many ppl as i want (oddly)
Fixed that problem configuring my router, no biggy - yet more problems came

Installed World of Warcraft, minor to great lag issues... but works fine as far as im concerned
Installed Starcraft - CAN NOT play with more than a 1v1 game, example - Game has 3 players i will lag out instantly - Game has 2 players, i can play as long and happily as i want - SC also has BIG issues with dling maps, sometimes does, sometimes doesnt
Installed Red Alert 2 - Can only play 1v1 like SC, major connection issues if im lucky i can play a game or 2 before a total lag crash
Installed Homeworld 2 - Works fine, except i cant host games (cant host any games on ANY game at all)
Installed Half Life 2 (With deathmatch) - Plays perfect except i cant host

I have no idea what the problem is... i cant host games, i cant even conect to some others... and what really boils my blood more is i cant play with more than 1 person online on certain games - C&C 3 works fine of course with no issues

Ive gone through my router millions of times following guides and etc to try fix these things, never helped (Linksys WRT56G) - Asked my ISP (Windstream) they dont know either and kinda dont care

I lead a hunt to Toshiba, representative told me it may just be "This new Vista stuff"

Funny thing is, my Xbox360 (when it was still working) played Halo 3 and other games fine, often tellin me "Detected NAT or Firewall plz reconfig etc" and well... i never did figure that out but as far as i know my computer firewall is down, my router firewall is down and more - Xbox rarely had connection issues but reminded me every 2 hours that sommins in the way
My Vista computer has often had games tell me im behind a NAT or firewall too, my routers firewall is down far as i know...

Honestly i dont know what is goin on, or why i cant connect with some games and more... but its driving me up the wall and making me tear my hair out
PLZ HELP! >.< i heard u guys perform magic lol

Edited by Zealot_115, 01 January 2008 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
Welcome to Geeks-To-Go.

Sounds like you are having several issues here. First, the reason that you seem to can't host any games is due to the NAT or Network Address Translation. This allows multiple computers to have access to a network with only having one IP address. To get around this issue, you have to tell the outside people which computer behind your router to connect to. To do this, you have to setup a port forward. All games have different ports they run on, so you would have to research each game that you wish to host and then go into the router configuration and setup a port forward to your local machine's IP address.

Now as far as the starcraft issues, I'm not really sure about. All I can really think of is to make sure that you don't have anything else running on your PC that would take bandwidth, such as P2P applications, downloads, or the like. Also, you may want to do a virus scan and spyware scan just to make sure that some nasties aren't wasting your CPU while your trying to game. Also, you could do a disk defragmentation, it may or may not help.

Let me know if this makes sense and helps any.

Zealot_115

Zealot_115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes it made sense, i understand about the port forwarding idea and its a pain because some of the ports i want to forward on the router (as i did with C&C which works fine) - Every time i try most new games 1 of 2 things happens, either the ports overlap each other and my router has a screaming fit about it. or the game doesnt seem to really respond to any of the port forwards

I however DID fix C&C 3 with this method and it works great no complaints, exception for quick match with NAT

Im guessing its just my lack of knowledge backfiring on me as far as routers go

Is there any known way i can totally drop/disable my NAT? i really dont care about the security risks at all, as i dont use the computer for any kind of business

Also is a NAT only in my router? or can it be in the modem too? i just want to get rid of it

=) the previous post also helped clear the confusion thank u

Edited by Zealot_115, 03 January 2008 - 09:56 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts

i really dont care about the security risks at all

No offense to you, but this is a bad opinion to have. Think of it in terms of diseases, if you get sick the chances of the people around you getting sick gets much more likely. It's the same with computers, if your computer gets a virus it can very easily spread to other computers near you. Maybe not in the same house, but it can spread over the Internet in seconds. Not to mention that if you do get infected, your gaming experience will go down because your resources are being used to spread viruses.

As far as I know, you can't really turn NAT off on home routers. You could potentially put your computer in the DMZ which would open up all ports to your computer, but then again you will be wide open to attacks.

The choice is yours, but you have been warned.

mirk

mirk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey just wanted to say that I have exactly! the same problem playing starcraft with more than 2 players online related to lag ect. downloading maps is possible when there is only 1 other person in the game (host) but with multiple players it will not download. Also playing counterstrike online causes sumular issues a couple of times after i connect and reconnect then will work fine for me until i restart the application. These are the only 2 games I play.
I believe this is something caused by running windows vista as a couple of days ago i upgraded and did not have this problem before under XP.
Yes i have tried disableing all firewalls and vista melware, virus checker ect.
Can anyone help or have you found a solution to this problem as i do not believe it is related to your router as mine hasnt been changed since it last worked fine.

Edited by mirk, 04 January 2008 - 09:46 PM.