Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my pc quickly restarts/reboots before I log in

• Please log in to reply

hj2821

hj2821

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

So I'm having problems with my pc and it wont log me in at all...because it keeps restarting.
I read in other posts where some suggested tapping on F8 and restarting there with...Safe Mode? So I tried that and a blue screen popped up quickly then started all over again. With>>>Safe Mode, SMw/Networking, SMw/Command Prompt, Last Know Configuration thingy, and Start Normally...none did any good...Then there was "Windows Advanced Options Menu"?
If you guys could help me with the problem it would be Great, that is if its fixable. Or would buying a new hard drive? work...

Please Help

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so, select "Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure". On the next boot you should get a blue screen error. Post all the data here, maybe that will help us help you.

Edit: Sorry, left off the part about pressing F8 to get to the Windows Advanced Options menu and then selecting "Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure". As I did mention, this is only available if you have SP2 installed.

Edited by Ztruker, 01 January 2008 - 09:43 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Not exactly sure how you are going to manage the earlier suggestion if you can't get Windows stsrated.

Do you have an XP cd and, if so, is it a normal Microsoft XP cd or a Recovery/Restore cd used by Dell, HP, Acer, etc?

Murray

hj2821

hj2821

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,
Yeah I found that XP cd and just let it run on itself or something and it WORKED!
but certain programs on my computer are acting funny, they open but wont run right?
But atleast I'm able to log in now.