Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless to wireless Routers...Can it be Done?

• Please log in to reply

baconator 112

baconator 112

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I need to solve an internet connection problem. I have one computer in my room and I have one at my workstation. they are in different rooms.

I have a Netgear WGR164v4 wireless router in my room and a Netgear WPN824v2 wireless router at my workstation. I really don't want a cord to connect between the 2.

The Config I have is

Computer 1-------Wgr614v4

computer 2--------WPN824v2--------internet

I need to connect the two routers wirelessly. can it be done? and if so, How?
:)
Baconator

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go. I need to ask you a few questions.
1) are all of the computers in the same workgroup?
2) are both routers connected to a modem? (seperate modems?)
3) are you trying to use the second router as a range expander using one modem?
4) how far apart are the two routers (in feet) (can your machines "see" both routers)
In theory this should be possable, reality may be more complicated.

baconator 112

baconator 112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
All of the computers are not in the same workgroup. can you do that from windows XP to Vista?
The one in my room is not connected to a modem, but the one at my workstation is.
I have cable internet.
I am NOT trying to extend the router's range, but instead use the router in my room to recieve signal from the wireless router at my workstation. The router at my workstion is connected to the internet
The router are in separate rooms, but the rooms are close and the routers are probably only 20-25 feet away from each other if that.

Thanks for the help.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I am trying to understand why you want to use two access points. you will not be able to hard wire a machine to a wireless router and use it as a wireless card. both routers would have to be on the same channel and that would cause interferance. get a wireless card (usb cost under $40.00) for one of the machines and they will be able to see each other as well as access the internet.
Vista and XP can be on the same network (workgroup) with no problems but "network discovery" will need to be turned on in network connections on the vista machine.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I've got a similar setup here at my home. I have two wireless routers. Router A is connected to the Internet while Router B is sitting with my Xbox360 which is bridged to RouterA and is supplying my xbox with internet access. This is called bridging.

I'm not sure the specifics for your routers, but take a look at your manual or help menu about setting up a bridge.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 02 January 2008 - 07:19 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
didn't you have to wire the bridge? If not I would realy like to know how to do this.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It's setup like this, RouterA----->Internet
|
| <-----Wireless Bridge
|
RouterB------->Xbox360(Via Cat5)

This is specific to my router's firmware but should give you a general idea of what to do. here

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Gravity...to clarify...the "bridge" in your situation isn't a physical device correct? it's just an allowed "feature" of your product correct?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Yes, it is a feature of the software on my router. There is nothing physical about a wireless bridge except the two wireless routers.

I have two routers, both running the DD-WRT firmware. One is a Linksys WRT54GL and the other is a Buffalo WHR-G54S both with DD-WRT 24 RC5.

Sorry if that was not clear.